. .
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Hello all.

I made this a while back. CZ121 brass - 1/4" plate. Despite being on a larger scale than most of what I do, I still needed to use a 0.4mm end mill to get that detailing around some of the letter-forms..!

As usual, it was filled with cold enamel resin (well, half filled - to get that softer/relaxed look where the paint meets the metal) before getting the bejeezus polished out of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	258.6 KB 
ID:	24024 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	308.3 KB 
ID:	24025 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	insta.gif 
Views:	400 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	24027

Wal.

EDIT: Here's a vid showing some of the manual and CNC stages that went in to making the plaque:

Last edited by Wal; 19-04-2018 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Added link to video.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

Raz

That's beautiful Wal!
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Really top work again wal, looks great.

Phill

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Fantastic job Wal
    Regards
    Mike

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Thanks guys!

Wal.

that's awesome. how do you do the infill

Quote Originally Posted by johngoodrich View Post
    that's awesome. how do you do the infill
    Cheers John.

I use the 2-part cold enamel available from Cookson Gold. It's good stuff, but needs to be mixed very accurately - particularly when prepping smaller quantities. Two ways of filling - over-fill and sand back to a flush surface, or (slightly trickier) under-fill to get that sunken look. In either case, flash it with a blow torch to remove air bubbles.

Wal.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wal; 10-04-2018 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Spelling

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread - the original post related to a test piece / prototype. The project sat on the back burner for near enough a couple of years, but a tweaked design eventually came through a month or so ago and I was commissioned to make 15 plaques in total. Managed to get a bit of the process (including the enamelling) recorded, here are a few clips. My favourite bit's got to be at 18 seconds in the first clip - 0.4mm end-mill in brass. Never ceases to amaze how resilient these little cutters can be..! Everything cut dry, just a bit of air.

In that middle clip you can see that the cog plaque has a more pronounced meniscus effect - you're seeing it before the final clear coat of resin which I added to the process. It flattens out the effect, but will serve to protect the plaque and add to its longevity - the resin's pretty tough stuff. These are being installed as paving slab way-markers in North Manchester - it'll be interesting to see how they get on being walked on all day.

Wal.
    Last edited by Wal; 16-06-2019 at 02:05 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

Thread Information