. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sorry I got confused as the original setup they have daisy chained the VFD and PSU to the same wires so for a novice like me it looked like the power went through the psu first then the vfd.

Quote Originally Posted by Palletlad View Post
    Sorry I got confused as the original setup they have daisy chained the VFD and PSU to the same wires so for a novice like me it looked like the power went through the psu first then the vfd.
    What do you mean by daisy chained? The VFD and the PSU must be connected in parallel on the mains side.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    What do you mean by daisy chained? The VFD and the PSU must be connected in parallel on the mains side.
    The term "daisy chain" can be applied to parallel-connected devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    The term "daisy chain" can be applied to parallel-connected devices.
    Yes I know, but considering he sounds confused regarding electrical connections and what is what, it is not clear what he means by "daisy chained" and which end is connected where.

Erm.!! . . . Are you sure what your calling VFD is actually a VFD.?

To be honest from the looks of the questions your asking it's clear your level of electrical knowledge is very low so maybe you should back off a little and maybe seek help from someone who has more knowledge. Because when comes to PSU and VFD's your dealing with mains voltage which WILL KILL YOU without asking if you know what your doing.!

I'm strongly advising you to ask your self if your capable. I'd also strongly suggest you don't turn anything on untill your 100% sure know it's correct or get it checked by someone who does.
    We can help you but only to a point and if you don't understand the basics then it's very easy to blow expensive things up or god forbid much worse.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 12-04-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Thank you for the concern I don't deny I know nothing in regards to electrics, I have now sat down and had a lengthly chat with a trained technician (took your advice) and went through a lot of questions about wiring and power usage whilst going through the wiring with a dvm.
    My "daisy chain" term I used was actually a "series" connection.
    And I was shown that the vfd is connected to the live and neutral connectors on the psu so was getting a DC from the mains and not through the psu.
    What I will do is draw up a diagram of my wiring and get it double checked.

Hi Palletlad.
    I think you should talk again to your electrician friend as you seem to have a problem with understanding the difference with ac and dc power conections. As Jazz said this could kill you. Be carefull. Cheers Andrew

just seen my mistake...

Thank you for the concern I don't deny I know nothing in regards to electrics, I have now sat down and had a lengthly chat with a trained technician (took your advice) and went through a lot of questions about wiring and power usage whilst going through the wiring with a dvm.
    My "daisy chain" term I used was actually a "series" connection.
    And I was shown that the vfd is connected to the live and neutral connectors on the psu so was getting a DC from the mains and not through the psu.
    What I will do is draw up a diagram of my wiring and get it double checked.
    This post is even more confusing than the ones before, and just as I suspected, your use of the term "daisy chain" is wrong. Do you actually know what the difference is between parallel, serial and daisy chain connection? I am with Jazz... contact a trained electrician and ask him/her to connect at least the mains and the VFD - spindle cables, and of course the earth. Those cables can literally kill you, or anyone touching your machine, if you make a small mistake. Discussing this with a technician friend (technician in which field...?) is pointless and can be even more dangerous unless you actually KNOW that he/she knows the subject AND you understand what he/she is saying.

just seen my mistake...
    A picture or a sketch wiring diagram would paint a thousand words
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information