. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have a spare one Chaz if it works ok we can sort something out.

We use them at wok and they are built very well.

Andy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to audioandy For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Does this need a 'receiving part' or anything that it can pick up in the slot?
    You need something that goes through the slot. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, I just used a bit bent bar suitably mounted on the cross slide -
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

5. we use these on our machines and linear stages we build.
    https://www.zappautomation.co.uk/bes...on-sensor.html
    The repeatable accuracy is 1% of the distance of the metallic material used to sense.
    other things also need to be taken into account as well to see the accuracy though.
    Also very low profile, but not the cheapest.
    Last edited by Gary; 16-04-2018 at 07:38 AM.

Chaz, I have made something based on the "touch plate" concept used for mill Z homing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic_5_cmp.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	24073
    (I hope that works!)
    Repeatability seems to be better than 10 microns, and in conjunction with my tool setter on my first trial of homing/applying set tool offset/turning I achieved indicated microm accuracy on diameter. This cost nothing to make, it's essentially a bit of PCB laminated on to 6mm of tufnol superglued to the apron front. Obviously there are issues of wear and tarnishing so I intend to upgrade it with one where the contact surface is beryllium copper.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHaine View Post
    Chaz, I have made something based on the "touch plate" concept used for mill Z homing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic_5_cmp.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	24073
    (I hope that works!)
    Repeatability seems to be better than 10 microns, and in conjunction with my tool setter on my first trial of homing/applying set tool offset/turning I achieved indicated microm accuracy on diameter. This cost nothing to make, it's essentially a bit of PCB laminated on to 6mm of tufnol superglued to the apron front. Obviously there are issues of wear and tarnishing so I intend to upgrade it with one where the contact surface is beryllium copper.
    Thanks, I had though of similar - this is the way that we deal with milling offsets, so no reason why it wont work on a Lathe. Ill try the switch from audioandy (Thank you) first and go from there.

Thanks for the other suggestion Gary.

Hi Chaz

Switch posted today first class so should be with you tomorrow.

Regards
    Andy

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by audioandy View Post
    Hi Chaz

Regards
    Andy
    Thanks, appreciated.

I retested my cheap proximity switch with a 'semi decent' analog DTI and it was surprisingly accurate. My el cheapo electronic DTI seems not to be repeatable. Go figure ...

I also managed to get my spindle speed / encoder setup to work and tweaked my steps for X and Z, explains why I was getting inaccurate cuts, not out my much, but it was out.

Ill still try the mechanical switch - just need to figure how to mount it with my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by audioandy View Post
    Hi Chaz

Regards
    Andy
    Received, with thanks.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information