. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Hi,

Looking for a high quality homing switch so that I can get my Lathe's X Axis set correctly and allow my tool changer to be consistent.

When looking at proximity switches, how do you know if its high quality? I did see a test a while ago where a guy on youtube tested a number of them and found a mechanical switch with no arm seemed to be the most reliable.

As I dont have index homing (stepper), what are my options?

Thanks

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Looking for a high quality homing switch so that I can get my Lathe's X Axis set correctly and allow my tool changer to be consistent.
    I don't think the homing accuracy would influence the tool changer as you will have touched off on the part.
    The standard proxy switched I find OK
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I don't think the homing accuracy would influence the tool changer as you will have touched off on the part.
    The standard proxy switched I find OK
    Thing is, I use Machine home as the starting point / offset.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Thing is, I use Machine home as the starting point / offset.
    Ok I have not got a turret. But I thought you would have to touch off on the part and that would ref the tool changer position. So sorry can't help further
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Ok I have not got a turret. But I thought you would have to touch off on the part and that would ref the tool changer position. So sorry can't help further
    Nope. The aim of the machine zero is to be the absolute reference. This means that each tool is offset against that point. So clearly if it moves, then my tools are not referenced correctly anymore.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I used an opto slot sensor on my old lathe, and there was never any measurable variation. I used RS part number 480-5231 however I see that part has now been discontinued. The only problem was I had to make sure a bit swarf hadn't landed in the slot prior to homing, as I never bothered enclosing it.

The new lathe uses proximity combined with servo index homing.

You could combine a proximity or microswitch with a slot sensor on the stepper, provided you can add a suitable slot to the stepper/ballscrew, to essentially give you a poor mans index homing.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Chaz

I have a Balluff mechanical switch which are very good, I don't mind sending it over for you to try.

Just pm me your address if you want to try it. I will post a link to the switch if I can find it on the RS site.

Regards

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I used an opto slot sensor on my old lathe, and there was never any measurable variation. I used RS part number 480-5231 however I see that part has now been discontinued. The only problem was I had to make sure a bit swarf hadn't landed in the slot prior to homing, as I never bothered enclosing it.

You could combine a proximity or microswitch with a slot sensor on the stepper, provided you can add a suitable slot to the stepper/ballscrew, to essentially give you a poor mans index homing.
    Thanks, something like this - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/photo...nsors/1254515/ ?

Quote Originally Posted by audioandy View Post
    Chaz

I have a Balluff mechanical switch which are very good, I don't mind sending it over for you to try.

Just pm me your address if you want to try it. I will post a link to the switch if I can find it on the RS site.

Regards

Andy
    Thanks, will send you the address. What do they cost?

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post

Does this need a 'receiving part' or anything that it can pick up in the slot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information