. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    About dive into thread milling. Wondered if there is a cheapskate way of tooling up for it.
    I believe taps can be modified and that indexable lathe inserts can be used also. Would be most grateful for any advice if you are a fellow skinflint that is ahead of me!
    Last edited by Leadhead; 17-04-2018 at 01:32 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Unless you want to hand grind a single point cutter, you're going to have to spend money.

I'm pretty sure I found a site that was selling them for about £40 a cutter, but I can't remember where.

You could also turn a bit suitable hardenable steel the correct pitch (remember thread mills aren't 'threaded' they're a series of rings), shape it, harden it, then grind to sharpen it.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Hi, I recently got into this and have used both a modified M8 bottom tap (all the teeth on 3 of 4 flutes ground off), and more recently a standard internal insert tip threading tool Experiences described over on the ME site at
    http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/foru...p?th=84198&p=6

Look for the later postings in the thread for my contribution, though lots of useful info there. There's a poster there called richardandtracy who has posted a useful application on his website to generate the g-code which I used, works very well.

The standard threading tool was from JB Cutting Tools
    http://www.jbcuttingtools.com/epages...493/Categories
    though it isn't listed on their website - a phone call might be in order. Usually they have the type number printed on the shank so if you're interested I can look it up when I'm back home.

John.

Gentlemen thanks for the advice. If you could find those tool references I would be obliged.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0214.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	24093

Here's a photo of the tool with the number on the shank, hopefully you can get one from JB. If it would help I could post a photo of the modified tap but it's not very interesting, just an M8 tap with all the teeth ground off except one row. To find Richard's website to get the wizard look for Chestnut Pens.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHaine View Post

Name:	IMG_0214.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	24093

Here's a photo of the tool with the number on the shank, hopefully you can get one from JB. If it would help I could post a photo of the modified tap but it's not very interesting, just an M8 tap with all the teeth ground off except one row. To find Richard's website to get the wizard look for Chestnut Pens.
    It would be interesting to see the tap. Here is the link :- http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk/misc/downloads.htmlClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Thread mill.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	24095
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

John - Thanks for the info. I actually just bought similar from Banggood. (SNR0013M16 Lathe Turning Tool Holder with 10pcs 16IR AG60 Inserts) Suited my budget at £15.31 with ten inserts included. It will serve to cut my teeth on. Will report on the efficacy.
    I use many of their lathe tools and inserts and have found them good value for money. Have cut Titanium for instance,(gently) to good effect. I have no connection with them, just sometimes like relatively good cheapo`s for rarely practiced applications .
    Confess this is more an interest in "how to do it" than actual immediate need. May need some foam.

I just started with a chunk of bms.

Tap.

Name:	IMG_0217.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	24096

If using a tap I think you have to mill down from the top. With a single point tool you can climb mill from the bottom of the hole.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,725. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Out of curiosity, how do you measure the effective diameter of the boring tool used for thread milling? I assume that you need this parameter for the CAM tool you are using? I have one of those internal threading tools for use on the lathe but until - eventually - I get my CNC mill conversion done, it's all a bit academic for me...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information