. .

Thread: Tb6600?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jtar40 View Post
    For anyone who has, had or knows anything about it, is there any specific break out board I should be getting with this uc300eth? I don't know much about them, I think they're generally the same but I'm not sure. How does it work with the software, interface and Bob? Are you able to set up individual pins on uccnc? Or do you need a specific break out board that is set up for the uccnc software outputs?
    The UC300eth has 5 discrete ports and one analogue port.

Two of the discrete ports (2&3) mimic the standard LPT/parallel port, and because of this you can easily use a standard parallel Break Out Board to interface to either of these. The signalling is pretty standard - 5V levels (outputs are driven by 74HC13s, interfacing the onboard 3.3V logic of the UC300eth with the offboard signals at 5V; inputs are coupled via a resistive divider networks to drop the 5V input to the onboard 3.3V), but the nature of this is such that a BoB of some description is highly recommended to avoid any problems with spikes/noise etc driving or damaging the UC300eth (and the UC400, for that matter). The UC300eth is supplied complete with a cable to allow one of the ports 2 or 3 to be directly wired to a standard parallel/LPT BoB, and you can buy more cables easily (26W-IDC to 25W D-Type).

Ports 1, 4, 5 are different - they each present a significant number of inputs (13) and a small number of outputs (4) with the same signalling as ports 2&3 (74HC13 driven at 5V, resistive divider on inputs). A standard BoB cannot be used on these ports. This is where the UB1 provides a significant benefit over standard BoBs - providing a configurable (24V/5V) opto-isolated interface to the inputs, and a buffered driver for the outputs. The UB1 also provides an interface for the analogue port - providing two separate isolated analogue outputs to drive e.g. a spindle speed interface.

The UB1 also provides the necessary 5VDC supply to the UC300eth.

The UB1 is, without doubt, a decent interface between the UC300eth and a machine, but it's worth checking that you need the additional support required for the non-standard LPT ports, as it clearly comes at a price.

At this time, my own build can use the ports 2&3 with standard (cheap) parallel/LPT BoBs, and I'll reserve the use of the additional capabilities for a later use (if at all).

I am tempted to throw together a rugged I/O - or BoB board specifically for these ports and publish the board design through Seeed/DirtyPCB to allow anyone to build their own.

Regarding the software etc, the UCCNC - it is configured that it understands the respective inputs and outputs on each port, and you can program these with the required functionality (i.e. designating an input as E-Stop, or an output as a motor interface, or otherwise a standard discrete output). You cannot, however, change the type of interface (e.g. change an input to an output) - that is hardwired on the UC300eth.
    Last edited by Doddy; 06-05-2018 at 08:30 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

For anyone who has, had or knows anything about it, is there any specific break out board I should be getting with this uc300eth? I don't know much about them, I think they're generally the same but I'm not sure. How does it work with the software, interface and Bob? Are you able to set up individual pins on uccnc? Or do you need a specific break out board that is set up for the uccnc software outputs?
    You can use any BOB with the UC300ETH. Personally I have two of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Geekcreit-5...item4b40cb55d4

There is no need to buy a 180$ BOB unless you know you'll need it, when you can get it working just as well with a $5 BOB. I know that just like in the case of digital vs. the 542 drivers some people will disagree, but so be it. As a student, you will be ruined if you follow some peoples advice, so be careful when asking on a forum.

Of course, if you plan on building and industrial machine then buy only the best, but if you have a hobby and/or if you have some budget restrictions then the cheaper alternatives are not necessarily worse than the $180 UB1.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to A_Camera For This Useful Post:

Hello!
    I've had some discussion on what kind of a driver to get and I've been recommended several. It was the debate between the dq542ma, and digital drivers such as the am882 and EM806.
    I must say, I've become a lot more educated on the analog and digital driver's. But I'm a highschool student and I can't spend much on a hobby (not yet at least). I hate to sound cheap but is there anything less expensive, and relatively good (meaning it works) for hobby purposes?
    I've been looking at tb6600 drivers on eBay and they can get pretty cheap. I've even seen quite consistent good reviews on some.
    I'd love to advance to try out the previously mentioned drivers in the future, but they are a bit expensive for me currently. I'm always open to suggestions though too.

( I'm using a 3 axis cnc router with 3amp nema 23's and I was going to buy a uc300eth with some breakout boards) let me know if there's any other info necessary and relevant.
    Based on my TB6560 experience I will in the future avoid and drivers based on an TB chip. It may be so that you will not notice any issues, but in my opinion you'd be much better off with the DQ542MA drivers than any TB chip based one. Even if the 6600 is much better than the 6560, I think it is still limited in capabilities compared to the DQ542MA, but sine I have no experience with the TB6600, I can't really say anything else than what is readable from the specs. Regardless of which one you chose, make sure you buy individual drivers for each stepper, and not one board with 3 or 4 TB6600 chips on it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A_Camera For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 27 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    You can use any BOB with the UC300ETH. Personally I have two of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Geekcreit-5...item4b40cb55d4
    Even cheaper:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-axis-CN...72.m2749.l2649
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Yes, definitely. I paid $5 for mine. Works perfectly since several years.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Yes, definitely. I paid $5 for mine. Works perfectly since several years.
    Hi A_Camera.

You are making me doubt if i need an usd180+tax bob like the UB1.

I was already thinking ... maybe do a bob like mentioned above and upgrade later.

It wil pay for the better part of the of the spindle and vfd.

Can you do a pro's and cons on the ub1 vs 2 of those bobs from your point of view?.. i need 4 stepper driver outputs.

The 1 real con i can find is 25khz vz 400khz. the other stuff can be resolved i think..

So.. less speed or less resolution.

Grtz Bert.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk
    Last edited by driftspin; 08-05-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Hi Bert,

I am sorry but I can't write any pro's and cons between the UB1 and the $5 BOB because I don't know the UB1, so I could only compare the specs, which you can do as well. Yes, there are some advantages, but to me they are not relevant and not worth $170 extra. But... CNC Drive have just released a new BOB and that is a more reasonable alternative. If I'd build my machine today I'd probably buy that one. It is a dual port BOB, and it does not seem to have analogue output, so if you plan to control the VFD with 0-10V then you probably need an external PWM card as well. Regardless of which, I think one or two $5 BOB is the way to go for anyone on budget restrictions.

BTW, there is no 25kHz limit, it works just as well with 200kHz also, which is the limit of most of the drivers anyway. 400kHz is the upper limit of the motion controller, but again, with 200kHz you can go very far... The BOB has 74HC14 buffers on the outputs which control the motion through the drivers, so the limit is not the BOB but your drivers. The DQ542MA has a 200kHz upper limit because of the opto couplers on the inputs. I have actually tested them with 400kHz and while they worked well, there is no need for that speed in my machine, so I keep the 200kHz settings.

Also, speed has nothing to do with resolution. The resolution is the same at high speed as it is with low speed.

Wow!
    That new ucbb looks sweet.. Thanks for the tip :)

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nr1madman View Post
    Wow!
    That new ucbb looks sweet.. Thanks for the tip :)
    You're welcome. Yes, it's nice and is definitely a more reasonable alternative to "normal" users who don't need zillions of inputs/outputs, and control their VFD via Modbus.

I've still been searching around for drives and Im just sort of curious about the dm542t. Anyone know much about this drive? Is it worth it to invest a bit more money into this drive opposed to buying tb6600's? I know that contradicts a lot of my previous problem (cheapness) but it seems quite a bit more reliable and it's price isn't bad on Amazon.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jtar40; 31-05-2018 at 09:37 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information