. .

Thread: Tb6600?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    The DM542T is an older Leadshine drive (IIRC it's the one that Leadshine essentially copied from Geckodrive), and is a good mid-budget drive. They'll certainly be a major improvement over TB6600 drives.

It's worth mention that I'm not sure how many sold are actually genuine Leadshine now, but even the copies are generally still reliable and good performance.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

I think I'm probably going to go with the dm542t then instead of the tb6600. It's not a lot money, and it sounds pretty darn good for what I'm looking for. But just out of curiosity, are there any other drivers that maybe I should research? I looked at the dq542ma, em806, am882, but some of those got a bit expensive for me (when converting the dollar value). Are there any other "mid-budget" drives that anyone recommends?(Mid budget probably being like 30-50$ per driver)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jtar40 View Post
    I've still been searching around for drives and Im just sort of curious about the dm542t. Anyone know much about this drive? Is it worth it to invest a bit more money into this drive opposed to buying tb6600's? I know that contradicts a lot of my previous problem (cheapness) but it seems quite a bit more reliable and it's price isn't bad on Amazon.

Yes, it is MUCH better than the TB chip based drivers. I use a fake Leadshine, the DQ542MA, and been using those for over two years. They work nice, cool and quiet. Also my speed improved a lot after I started using those on the exact same CNC, only replaced the TB drivers with them. So, if you think those are a bit expensive you can always buy the cheaper DQ542MA, though the DM542T should be even better than that and I would not hesitate buying those today.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 01-06-2018 at 08:05 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to A_Camera For This Useful Post:

I got another question, I never really thought about it but should I be buying 3 power supplies instead of using just one? The reason I ask is that I just notice in a lot of the pictures on here, the prepared kits people buy online typically come with 3 power supplies, one for each axis. I'm just not sure if there's a greater purpose having the 3 instead of just using one if it still meets the required amperage and voltage ratings for the motor and driver.

The power supply I have is 20 amps, and 24-26 vdc, I'm buying the dm542t motor driver which requires 20-50 vdc. Also I have 3 nema 23's each 3amps. I know I can be using a higher rated power supply (closer to 50 vdc) for optimal torque but if it's not a problem to use only the one, I think I'd stick to my 24-26 vdc power supply.

In short;... is it a problem to run all three axis' on a single power supply if the power supply meets the requirements of the motor driver and motor? And is there a reason kits sell 3 power supplies instead of just the one?

No, there's no problem using just one power supply. A single power supply is preferable, imo.

I know I can be using a higher rated power supply (closer to 50 vdc) for optimal torque
    Higher voltage gives you more speed, not more torque.
    your machine will be twice as fast with 50V as it is with 24V.

You usually see kits with multiple power supplies when the current requirements are higher, as large high current power supplies can be expensive.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ger21 For This Useful Post:

If you are using the common switch-mode power supplies (these are generally contained in a single box, lighter weight, and cheaper) then it is very important not to exceed the rated current. If you do, you trip the over-current protection mechanisms, the PSU shuts down temporarily, and things can go wrong. I don't think I've seen kits with multiple PSUs but it's probably to make sure that there is enough current capability. The stepper drivers actually draw current as a series of relatively short pulses; if your three drivers all demand a pulse at the same time then the sun of these might be too much for the PSU. No reason not to use a single supply as long as it can handle the peak current.

A better technical solution is to use a so-called linear power supply. Heavier and a bit more expensive but easy to build yourself from available components (plenty of examples on this forum). The advantage is that they can be rated for the average current draw and can deal with short pulse loads without a problem.

I would disagree with Gerry about voltage and torque. Stepper motors are driven by short pulses. When a pulse begins the current in the motor winding starts to rise, ramping up to its maximum. The higher the supply voltage, the faster the current rises and as it's current that translates into torque, the quicker the torque is developed during the pulse. The overall effect is higher average torque, which helps acceleration. Highest voltage that the driver can stand will give the best overall performance.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Have you looked into stand alone controller like the DDCSV. Current price is similar to uc300eth, but it includes the computer part. So you upload the gcode to a usb stick, plug it in and it runs. Also works with a pendant.
    Might save a lot of interface pain :-)
    Best Regards
    picclock

I got a question about the power supply again... So it's been common feedback that amps don't matter since the circuit will only draw as much as it needs ( in the case of powering a uc300eth-5lpt it's a minimum of 0.5 amps as someone stated above) volts of course must be lower than the max voltage allowed(less than 5 volts in my case), but is there anything I should be watching for in terms of "watts?" I'm not too familiar with watts although I know it's a common measurement, but would watts be relevant??
    Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jtar40 View Post
    Ivolts of course must be lower than the max voltage allowed(less than 5 volts in my case)
    Voltage for the UC300ETH should be 5V - don't go lower.

Current draw is whatever the board draws - obviously specified at 500mA, so spec for at least that - it doesn't matter much if the PSU is substantially higher than this provided that it's regulated.

Power is a function of voltage and current. P=V*I, where I is the drawn current. So, the power supply should be rated at 5V * 0.5A (=500mA) = 2.5W - as a minimum.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information