. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have a denford microrouter that just been converted to Mach3, everthing seemed to work ok but 5 minutes into the first job it suddenly stopped and the y axis sounded like a machine gun, I tried to move the y axis with the keyboard it won’t move & just keeps making rattling sound, I reset the controller and it started to move ok until it stopped again and made the same rattling sound, could it be the stepper motor at fault or the ball nut, how would I find out which one is is causing the problem, also where could I find replacement parts, Thankyou. MikeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	BEA1BF17-3859-440B-8E0B-0933BCE5DFBE.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	443.5 KB 
ID:	29946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5E8E98E5-5335-408B-837D-5047409556F9.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	29947

Quote Originally Posted by Edendale View Post
    I have a denford microrouter that just been converted to Mach3, everthing seemed to work ok but 5 minutes into the first job it suddenly stopped and the y axis sounded like a machine gun, I tried to move the y axis with the keyboard it won’t move & just keeps making rattling sound, I reset the controller and it started to move ok until it stopped again and made the same rattling sound, could it be the stepper motor at fault or the ball nut, how would I find out which one is is causing the problem, also where could I find replacement parts, Thankyou. MikeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	BEA1BF17-3859-440B-8E0B-0933BCE5DFBE.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	443.5 KB 
ID:	29946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5E8E98E5-5335-408B-837D-5047409556F9.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	29947
    Have you oiled the ball screws and rails?

When was the last time it was oiled?

Yes oiled well and slides freely, I disconnected the stepper motor and ran a program and it still does it so looks like the motor or wiring may be the problem, do denford still carry spares for old machines ! Regards Mike

Yes oiled well and slides freely, I disconnected the stepper motor and ran a program and it still does it so looks like the motor or wiring may be the problem, do denford still carry spares for old machines ! Regards Mike

It could be the drive or cabling First is to check with a meter both phases of the stepper post a picture of the drive and connections to the stepper there will be 4 wires to the stepper ie 1 pair for each coil.

It is unusually for a stepper to fail.

Don't unplug the stepper with the drive powered
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thanks Clive, it would appear that it is the cable going into the motor, as it moves there must be a break in the wire, it looks like the wiring is connected directly to the windings so not sure if it’s the cable or the thin copper wire on the winding that’s the problem, I’ll have a look tomorrow, ��

Thanks Clive, it would appear that it is the cable going into the motor, as it moves there must be a break in the wire, it looks like the wiring is connected directly to the windings so not sure if it’s the cable or the thin copper wire on the winding that’s the problem, I’ll have a look tomorrow, ��
    I had a cable break on my Denford triac, so it does happen.

It was the cable going into the stepper, not the stepper wiring

Don't open the motor up. Did you check the ohms between each phase they should be around 1-2 ohms across each coil.

You are not giving any info back so it is hard to guess.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hi Clive, your advice to not open the stepper motor came to late I’m afraid, but I have checked all wires, and I think the break is in the chain, looks like I’m going to have to replace all the wiring,

Hi Clive, your advice to not open the stepper motor came to late I’m afraid, but I have checked all wires, and I think the break is in the chain, looks like I’m going to have to replace all the wiring,
    Well, don't be surprised if it doesn't work properly when you do find the cause because they rarely work the same after being taken apart.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

O dear, any idea where I buy a replacement from

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information