Hello my name is Ollie.

I have come to the preliminary conclusion that I will have to build a CNC router and thus enter the seemingly confusing realm of how exactly to go about it.

I am a Joiner (most of the time) and Cabinetmaker (when I get the chance) and have a small but useful joinery shop at my disposal.
The reasons for needing a CNC router are many. Sometimes I need to make one offs and copies of existing woodwork for listed buildings and stuff, often this will require getting spindle moulder knives custom ground which adds time and money, other times a great deal of hand work. A CNC router would be able to make one offs for this type of thing assuming I can draw it up on fusion 360 of course.
I also have many ideas for small furniture projects and more art based things I would like to do. Also I can see use cases for making simple but accurate jigs for work holding and gluing up. Also advantages if making several versions of one component in different woods for example. Also perhaps some luthiery.
I think a machine of about 1000mm by 750mm cutting area will be plenty for what I need.

My thought process has been as follows. First look around the internet/ youtube etc.

x carve or shapeoko 3 look fun and cheap....Rejected due to the madness of trying to keep a machine accurate whilst running open wheels on an aluminium extrusion. My sliding carriage on the spindle moulder has steel bearings on a steel guideway and it is constantly getting gummed up with dust and sap. Oh and belts look like a nightmare. So nope.

Stepcraft looks better as it has enclosed guides and not just open wheels, also leadscrews for better accuracy, I also liked the fact that it has options for vfd spindle with software control. .... Rejected due to poor reputation from actual owners, slow movement speeds and other reported problems.

Chinese Machines 6090 etc. Look good and cheap, proper ballscrews and supported rails.........Rejected due to being a bit of a lottery and many reported electronics and mechanical faults.

High z Tseries look good at first........Rejected due to the fact that they seem very expensive for what you get.

It was at about this point when I was beginning to think that I might as well just build my own.

Sorotec, cnc router parts and Damen CNC kits. They seem to have nice kits but the price soon skyrockets once you add it all up....... Rejected, too expensive for me in one go.

Other machines from reputable manufacturers. ...........Rejected mainly on cost front. £6k to start with plus spindle etc etc.

Actively tried to gather funds to buy this one actually it was quite close to me too. http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/11610...640X-x-160Z%29

Then I started looking at the possibility of making my own, found examples on this forum and here I am.

I am hoping to be able to do the build in stages so I don`t have to fork out such a massive wodge of cash at once.

Perhaps.
Stage 1 build the frame probably from Aluminium extrusion and plates.
Stage 2 get ballscrews and hiwin rails installed.
Stage 3 Get stepper motors and drivers installed, Mach 3 etc.
Stage 4 Inevitable faffing about, tuning everything, hair pulling out, wishing I never started and copious swearing.
Stage 6 Make some stuff.

I am not under the illusion that this will be achievable for £1500 and as a joiner I am painfully aware of the cost of tooling.
However I am hoping that for maybe £5500 I will be able to make a very capable machine, better value than if I went and spent £5500 at Sorotec or something.
Also I am prepared to take a bit of time with it maybe a year from start to finish.

Please feel free to encourage or dissuade me as you see fit.

I would like to know if this is a reasonable plan. My main worry is that I could end up with an unfinished project after sinking money into it like many a kit car build, this is not an option.

Cue confused posts about the pitch of ballscrews and if I need closed loop electronics or not.....

Sorry for the enormously long post.
Cheers.