. .
    Hi,
    I thought I would do a quick project, to cut a light switch surround plate out of white acrylic, with a design on it. However the thing is biting me on the bum.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frame.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	24168
    What I cant get is the inner design, which started out as a Scan2CAD dxf file, to appear on the dxf file I load into Estlcam. Help please !!

Here are all the files concerned The original Scan2CAD file is Frame1.dxf.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sij8wn1yv...IYpdA1Rca?dl=0

I am 72 years old and so far I have most of my hair, this situation may rapidly change

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by cropwell; 06-05-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Hi Rob,

I downloaded your files, combined 'em and saved back out as a .dxf and a .pdf - sizes were a bit screwy - I take it you don't want a switch surround that's 1.5 metres across..? - Although it might make for a nice focal point for the room...

Anyway, here are the files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxnewkwwev...FRAME.dxf?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrx4m0jlb1...FRAME.pdf?dl=0

Hope this helps!

Wal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

Thanks Wal, The decorative scroll was too small, but at least it was addressable with my software. I corrected the size and have created the Gcode. The trial cut in a bit of scrap ply has finished and it looks GOOD !
    I will set up a piece of perspex sheet and cut it out now.

All cut out, now I need some bronze enamel to do the infills.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1966.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	24169

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Excellent - yeah, I was in a bit of a rush so I didn't fiddle about with any sizes, just wanted to get a useable file back to you.

Looking good too.!

Wal.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Thanks again Wal, but I could do with knowing what you did exactly as I have several other designs to do the same with in the near future. I think the software I have doesn't handle these files properly as I get errors when saving them as .dwg in AutoCAD. I have also tried Inkscape with similar results.

The design is a bit off to two sides, so I may correct that if I re-cut, but my wife is OK with that imperfection.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob, I use Adobe Illustrator - I just opened up your files, plonked them into one and re-saved in those two formats. I wonder if the decorative scroll vectors were that big they simply went beyond the canvas in estlcam? I've never used that software so can't offer any meaningful advice beyond that..

Wal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	framed.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	242.2 KB 
ID:	24197

Job done !

Humbrol enamel takes an age to dry. Then I cleaned up with 1500 wet and dry and finished with 2500 to give a matt look to it.

Now I need to put it behind the switch !

Nice one Rob.

Thread Information