. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Which do you prefer to work with? And do you use dotted lines for hidden features?
    I was taught engineering drawing in the 80s and so learned mostly in 1st angle projection but as part of the course we were required to be able to recognise and work in 3rd angle.
    For most things I will now work in BOFP (Back Of a Fag Packet) but anything which requires some clarity of features I revert to 1st angle.

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Which do you prefer to work with? And do you use dotted lines for hidden features?
    I was taught engineering drawing in the 80s and so learned mostly in 1st angle projection but as part of the course we were required to be able to recognise and work in 3rd angle.
    For most things I will now work in BOFP (Back Of a Fag Packet) but anything which requires some clarity of features I revert to 1st angle.

- Nick
    Whichever your organisation works in. My mind always works in 3rd angle. French and Norwegian companies work in 1st.
    Either way, always pays to look at the projection symbol.
    Hidden lines are always dashed, not dotted. And you never ever ever dimension them.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    As long as all the information is on the drawing in an understandable format, I don't really care what projection is being used.

For anything I've designed on the computer, I'll create a drawing with only what information I know I'll need to machine it, which will most likely only include a single view with dotted lines where needed.
    However I use the newer version of BOFP for most stuff, know as the RBOP (Random bit of paper), or if I can find one, a notebook.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Back in the 70s when I spent 6 weeks in the Marconi Drawing Office School, I think we were taught 3rd angle. These days, I use BOFP standards, which for me generally means a rough isometric sketch (and I mean rough) with dimensions. If I want better, I usually go to F360 at that point. BOFP sketches don't file very well - tend to be single-use only, but fine for the one-off smaller job. I probably do do the odd "projection" drawing, but I have to admit that I can't now remember which is 1st and which is 3rd...

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    Hidden lines are always dashed, not dotted.
    My SNAFU, you are, of course, entirely correct!
    Regards,
    Nick

Back in the 50's I was taught 3rd angle, 1st angle was referred to as 'American projection, I think that at some stage there was a general change to 1st angle, perhaps to conform with other counytrys.

I still use 3rd angle, seems more logical to me, and use dotted/dashed lines for hidden entities.

I asked my enginneering mananager son what they used and he said 3rd angle, he said that in a previous job 1st angle caused so much hassle with customers and suppliers that they changed to 3rd angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    BOFP sketches don't file very well.
    At the recommendation of a friend I installed Google Photos on my smart phone, now when I snap something it synchronises to my Google account and is usually instantly available on my other devices :D

- Nick

My SNAFU, you are, of course, entirely correct!
    Regards,
    Nick
    Isn't a dot just a very short dash

At the recommendation of a friend I installed Google Photos on my smart phone, now when I snap something it synchronises to my Google account and is usually instantly available on my other devices :D

- Nick
    Good idea - I use the phone camera a lot to record things I'm stripping for maintenance or whatever. Hadn't thought of it for recording sketches.

When I was tought technical drawing way back in uni days it was all 3rd angle projection drawn in pencil on a proper drawing board with fancy rulers that moved along parallel lines. All had to conform to British Standards for layout and content. There is a symbol for 1st and 3rd angle which is a truncated cone on its side and end so you can see how the part is rotated when switching views.

Nowadays the CAD creates the 3 views automatically from a solid model but I still try and keep to the main standards for dimensioning and highlighting parts of the drawing. I also tend to include an isometric view in the corner as this is so easy with CAD and can add to the clarity and avoid annoying mistakes when machining!

But if it is a part that I've drawn on a piece of paper for me to quickly make then it's just whatever works to get the thing made.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information