. .
    Hi,

I bought a piece of silver steel from J D Multi Metals in Sheffield via Ebay. 333mm x 3mm dia. It took 6 days over the projected delivery time to arrive and when I got it, it was bent, having been taped to a piece of card as the only protection.

I took most of the obvious kink out with my thumbs, but my question is - should I have been able to? I thought silver steel was supposed to be a lot stiffer than mild steel.

Could it just be a poor grade of silver steel ?

Anyway, I shan't be buying from that firm again !

Cheers,

Rob

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Hi Rob
    @ 3mm Diameter you would be able to bend it, after it's been hardened it would break.Has it got a ground finish ?
    regards
    Mike
    Last edited by mekanik; 10-05-2018 at 09:26 AM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Silver steel can be bent. It's just a carbon steel supplied in an annealed state, although it should be a bit tougher to bend.

I'm sure a google for yield strength will turn up some figures.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thanks chaps ! My points were, It seems to be as soft as mild steel and was posted just taped to a piece of cardboard. Royal Mail must have given it more than a casual 'chuck it in a sack'.

Anyway, I can't use it as I can't get it straight enough. I will buy a shorter length of tool steel or stainless.

Yes Mike, it is ground.

Cheers,
    Rob
    Last edited by cropwell; 10-05-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    >and was posted just taped to a piece of cardboard.

I take it that the cardboard survived the journey..? :)

Wal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    I take it that the cardboard survived the journey..? :)

Wal.
    No, it wasn't engineering grade cardboard (like Medite)

Rob

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Shysters..!

Wal.

Thread Information