. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi guys

I have a hobby mat mini lathe im pretty new to using it.

Im trying to bore a nice smooth hole which is fairly deep but i cannot get a smooth finish.

The outside finish is really nice. if i reduce the length of the boring bar i.e bringing it closer to the tool post the finish improves. Ill upload some images later you can see what i mean.

My question is really if i am using the correct type of boring bar or if there is a way easier way of getting the nice smooth interior finish.

What material are you trying to cut, if it's aluminum you might be best with a HSS tool as opposed to the tipped tools.
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    What material are you trying to cut, if it's aluminum you might be best with a HSS tool as opposed to the tipped tools.
    Regards
    Mike
    its steel bud. Im making a mould injection machine so i need it to be a smooth as posisble. I just did have a thought. I havent check the height of my cutting tool to make sure its set on center. Im wondering if that is causing an issue.

Yes tool needs to be @ centre height,would still use HSS tool.I tend to run a fairly slow speed to prevent vibration in the boring bar,when you get to the bottom of your bore reverse the feed and you will find it will probably take a fine cut on it's way out. some sort of cutting oil will help.

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Yes tool needs to be @ centre height,would still use HSS tool.I tend to run a fairly slow speed to prevent vibration in the boring bar,when you get to the bottom of your bore reverse the feed and you will find it will probably take a fine cut on it's way out. some sort of cutting oil will help.
    Thank you ill give that a go later. I am running my lathe @ 2000 rpm. I have either 250, 500, 1000, or 2000 rpm options.

Try 250 see how it goes, it's a bit of trial and error depending on material/machine stiffness ect. just have a play

Thread Information