. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi guys

I have a hobby mat mini lathe im pretty new to using it.

Im trying to bore a nice smooth hole which is fairly deep but i cannot get a smooth finish.

The outside finish is really nice. if i reduce the length of the boring bar i.e bringing it closer to the tool post the finish improves. Ill upload some images later you can see what i mean.

My question is really if i am using the correct type of boring bar or if there is a way easier way of getting the nice smooth interior finish.

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    What material are you trying to cut, if it's aluminum you might be best with a HSS tool as opposed to the tipped tools.
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    What material are you trying to cut, if it's aluminum you might be best with a HSS tool as opposed to the tipped tools.
    Regards
    Mike
    its steel bud. Im making a mould injection machine so i need it to be a smooth as posisble. I just did have a thought. I havent check the height of my cutting tool to make sure its set on center. Im wondering if that is causing an issue.

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Yes tool needs to be @ centre height,would still use HSS tool.I tend to run a fairly slow speed to prevent vibration in the boring bar,when you get to the bottom of your bore reverse the feed and you will find it will probably take a fine cut on it's way out. some sort of cutting oil will help.

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Yes tool needs to be @ centre height,would still use HSS tool.I tend to run a fairly slow speed to prevent vibration in the boring bar,when you get to the bottom of your bore reverse the feed and you will find it will probably take a fine cut on it's way out. some sort of cutting oil will help.
    Thank you ill give that a go later. I am running my lathe @ 2000 rpm. I have either 250, 500, 1000, or 2000 rpm options.

Try 250 see how it goes, it's a bit of trial and error depending on material/machine stiffness ect. just have a play

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    By the sounds of it, you want a less springy boring bar.
    Use as large a boring bar as possible, and if you really do have to use a relatively long overhang from the tool post, a carbide bar will help as it's not as springy.

As mekanik says, HSS should help, as it's a sharper edge, and not relying on a blunt edge with brute force to cut the metal. Although one thing you could try if you have an insert bar, is use an aluminium insert, as they typically have sharper edges than inserts for steel. You won't be able to take as big a cut, and the insert won't be as durable, but should produce a smoother finish.
    And a key thing with inserts, is keep them cutting. Don't let them rub.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

thank you for responding.

Still struggling with it not sure if i reach the limitation of my lathe if its my tools. Ill see if i can find some more time to have another go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180513_144913.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	24211

Name:	20180513_144919.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	24212

Name:	20180513_145721.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	24213

Have you got a fixed steady to support the end of the tube ?

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Have you got a fixed steady to support the end of the tube ?
    i havent no. i could look at making one if that is what i need

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information