. .
    So I have this cone/horn I need to CAD and potentially get machined and I need advise on designing it so it is practical to machine (and wont cost the earth)...

I am looking at a cone around 75mm long, with a ID of 16mm and 30mm on either side with flat ends of around 3-5mm and 20mm respectively.
    What sort of thickness should I look to achieve and is 75mm too long?

This is what I am after doing.

Thanks
    Jack,
    Last edited by JOGARA; 11-05-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Material?
    If it was Aluminium then that's do-able with a 1mm wall on a manual lathe.
    The drawing seems to show two cylinders joined by a cone, not just a cone.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

To be clear, you mean two cylinders, one id of 16 the other 30, ~4 mm and 20 mm long, joined by a cone that tapers between these dimensions - correct? The length of the cone being 75 mm. Does the outside have to taper as well as the inside? for example, could you have a tapered bore but the outside being a cylinder of od larger than 30mm but a shoulder on the end where the bore is smallest down to whatever the smallest od of your cylinder is? Would easier is you didn't have to machine the outside to a taper as well. The tapered bore would be a doddle in a CNC lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Material?
    If it was Aluminium then that's do-able with a 1mm wall on a manual lathe.
    The drawing seems to show two cylinders joined by a cone, not just a cone.
    Yes Aluminium. Really 1mm?
    Yes sorry I should have said 2 cylinders and a cone.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHaine View Post
    To be clear, you mean two cylinders, one id of 16 the other 30, ~4 mm and 20 mm long, joined by a cone that tapers between these dimensions - correct? The length of the cone being 75 mm. Does the outside have to taper as well as the inside? for example, could you have a tapered bore but the outside being a cylinder of od larger than 30mm but a shoulder on the end where the bore is smallest down to whatever the smallest od of your cylinder is? Would easier is you didn't have to machine the outside to a taper as well. The tapered bore would be a doddle in a CNC lathe.
    Yes two cylinders connected with a cone.
    The total length being ~75mm

Taper only needs to be OD for looks.
    Ideally the larder ID end would also be round over but I guess that is going to be harder/costly?
    Would a chamfer be okay?
    Last edited by JOGARA; 11-05-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    You could go sub 1mm wall thickness, but 1mm should be thick enough to not have to worry too much about strength while machining.

What do you mean by round over? Just a radius on the end?
    On a CNC the difference between square, chamfered, and rounded, is a line or two of code. The only problem would be if you wanted both ends radiused internally and externally, as you're then potentially into a second op.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    You could go sub 1mm wall thickness, but 1mm should be thick enough to not have to worry too much about strength while machining.

What do you mean by round over? Just a radius on the end?
    On a CNC the difference between square, chamfered, and rounded, is a line or two of code. The only problem would be if you wanted both ends radiused internally and externally, as you're then potentially into a second op.
    Ah okay.
    I probably wont go too thin but 1-2mm sounds good to me. This is going to be one of those things that gets knocked a lot so need some thickness I believe. Though obviously a round tube is stronger than a flat 1-2mm sheet...

Yea just a little radius to take the edge off.
    A chamfer will be okay too. Just so the powder coat does not mess up on the ends.
    Wont need it on the smaller end, that will get fitted to another part..
    Last edited by JOGARA; 12-05-2018 at 03:24 AM.

Thread Information