. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfox1787 View Post
    Thank you. I want to to make a z axis plate to mount my spindle. If i can find somewhere that it more competitive than id be happy to purchase in small bulk. Great if you could help wit that.

i bought some flat plate off ebay and its warped and the seller said "Hi As previously stated there is no flatness tolerance on cut plate, this is industry standard. You also say on a different message that you order flat bar so expected it to be flat, no where in the title does it mention flat bar, do i'm not sure why you felt you would be getting flat bar rather than plate."
    Define 'warped' ....

If you want reasonable flat (alu), you need to buy tooling plate or ecocast. Otherwise you need to expect a level of 'warped'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Define 'warped' ....

If you want reasonable flat (alu), you need to buy tooling plate or ecocast. Otherwise you need to expect a level of 'warped'.
    warped as in not flat. I would expect flat plate to be flat lol. no good to mount my spindle on.

See photos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180523_190108.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	24255

Name:	20180523_190125.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	24256
    Last edited by dfox1787; 25-05-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    warped as in not flat. I would expect flat plate to be flat lol. no good to mount my spindle on.

See photos

Name:	20180523_190108.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	24255

Name:	20180523_190125.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	24256
    True, that is nasty. My point is, what is flat? For some, flat enough is 0.05mm over a 300mm width, for others, 0.5mm might be fine ....

Warped means nothing without some specification. Clearly the image shows its certainly nowhere near flat enough. It looks like its been bent in transit or something, dont think its been made that way.

Lives in Derbyshire  UK, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 295. Received thanks 28 times, giving thanks to others 13 times.
    Looks like it's been cropped not sawn.

Phill

no good to mount my spindle on
    It would be if it was being bolted down to an adequately rigid structure, if it is the rigid part of the structure you might want something thicker and/or heavier anyway
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Phill05 is correct. The plate you have has been supplied with has been guillotined. This is very clear to see from the images you supplied. This enduces tons of stress and 'latent stress' as we know it in the trade and makes plate totally useless other than for welding and plating or general doesn't matter shit kind of work.

That effort of guillotining is particularly bad and i would not accept a plate guillotined to that standard and condition of deformation from a supplier. It would be returned immediately, you would expect some deformation but not as bad as that. Either the blade clearance is wrong or of the blade is blunt to induce deformation like that or his equipment is clapped out. That plate would have been flat enough from the mill and this is why people often buy plate because it is flat being produced from a rolling process. I would return that plate to the seller for a refund and tell him he needs to clearly state on the add that it is/ has been guillotined and this induces deformation he needs to clearly show that in an image.
    I get this kind of stuff regularly either plate cut or guillotined pending application. For your application using plate you need it plate cut.

As already mentioned, Normally tooling plate which is 5083 is used for a lot of router builds because it is fly cut flat and is flat. (its not ground contrary to popular belief) It is also cast which means there is no induced or latent stress from the manufacturing process, because it is not produced by mechanical means. This is why tooling plate is often the first material of choice and it does not have to be machined on the faces to make it flat and it is good for size normally. You wont find a supplier guillotining tooling plate! Try smiths metal centres I use these guys a lot, they are not the cheapest but the reliability of quality is very good compared to other suppliers.

Please feel free to quote my post to the seller.... I have been in the trade for 30 years plus. Sadly there are rouge traders out there that will palm you off it even happens with bigger suppliers at times.

One lot i had plate cut from a supplier was obviously rejected material and had be been re-worked after being left outside in a yard or had been wet and picked up corrosion that had eaten into the material. The answer was to brush the plates (very badly) it to try to cover up the corrosion and hope i would not notice it was scrap material. Needless to say they refused point blank to do anything about it because it was cut to order and insisted the material was prime material. Its stunning how people can lie so point blank!. This was a grands worth or material. Yes i did get my money back after taking them to task :)
    Last edited by spluppit; 25-05-2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: can't spell

Quote Originally Posted by spluppit View Post
    Phill05 is correct. The plate you have has been supplied with has been guillotined. This is very clear to see from the images you supplied. This educes tons of stress and 'latent stress' as we know it in the trade and makes plate totally useless other than for welding and plating or general doesn't matter shit kind of work.

That effort of guillotining is particularly bad and i would not accept a plate guillotined to that standard and condition of deformation from a supplier. It would be returned immediately, you would expect some deformation but not as bad as that. Either the blade clearance is wrong or of the blade is blunt to induce deformation like that or his equipment is clapped out. That plate would have been flat enough from the mill and this is why people often buy plate because it is flat being produced from a rolling process. I would return that plate to the seller for a refund and tell him he needs to clearly state on the add that it is/ has been guillotined and this induces deformation he he needs to clearly show that in an image.
    I get this kind of stuff regularly either plate cut or guillotined pending application. For your application using plate you need it plate cut.

As already mentioned, Normally tooling plate which is 5083 is used for a lot of router builds because it is fly cut flat and is flat. (its not ground contrary to popular belief) It is also cast which means there is no induced or latent stress from the manufacturing process, because it is not produced by mechanical means. This is why tooling plate is often the first material of choice and it does not have to be machined on the faces to make it flat and it is good for size normally. You wont find a supplier guillotining tooling plate! Try smiths metal centres I use these guys a lot, they are not the cheapest but the reliability of quality is very good compared to other suppliers.

Please feel free to quote my post to the seller.... I have been in the trade for 30 years plus. Sadly there are rouge traders out there that will palm you off it even happens with bigger suppliers at times.

One lot i had plate cut from a supplier was obviously rejected material and had be been re-worked after being left outside in a yard or had been wet and picked up corrosion that had eaten into the material. The answer was to brush the plates (very badly) it to try to cover up the corrosion and hope i would not notice it was scrap material. Needless to say they refused point blank to do anything about it because it was cut to order and insisted the material was prime material. Its stunning how people can lie so point blank!. This was a grands worth or material. Yes i did get my money back after taking them to task :)
    Brilliant thank you. I have no experience when it comes to how the material should be and the seller convinced me this is normal. The piece in question cost me 10 pounds for 200mmx100mmx6mm. He told me tooled plate would cost £53 for the piece I want.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

The cost you have been quoted for Tooling plate does seem rather excessive. A piece like that would come under a minimum order charge of approximately £30 depending supplier plus delivery + vat. You could shop around and see what else you get offered.

If you can find the time to look through the for sale section I had a load of 6 mm plate for sale which would cover the size you wanted. This is 6082 and what is known as strain hardened which is even flatter than standard plate. Saying that, you will always get some deformation of some kind but it won't be anything like you experienced. Any material which is produced by mechanical processes have some stressing in it of some kind. The only real exception to this is hot rolled materials, but aluminium is not one of those.

If you want to go for Tooling plate and you don't have any success from a supplier. I do keep a small stock at my works. I will happily cut you a piece and send it to you for a donation to the tea fund the long as it covers costs.

Let me know if it is any interest and I will see what thickness is I have on the shelf.
    Last edited by spluppit; 26-05-2018 at 12:49 AM.

Thank you that would be very helpful. I'm after 140x108mm. I'll have a look at the for sale section. At this stage I just need offcuts to practice on.
    Quote Originally Posted by spluppit View Post
    The cost you have been quoted for Tooling plate does seem rather excessive. A piece like that would come under a minimum order charge of approximately £30 depending supplier plus delivery + vat. You could shop around and see what else you get offered.

If you can find the time to look through the for sale section I had a load of 6 mm plate for sale which would cover the size you wanted. This is 6082 and what is known the strain hardend which is even flatter than standard plate. Saying that you will always get some deformation of some kind but it won't be anything like you experienced. Any materials which is produced by mechanical processes have some stressing in it of some kind. The only real exception to this is hotrolled materials, but aluminium is not one of those.

If you want to go for Tooling plate and you don't have any success from a supplier. I do keep a small stock at my works. I will happily cut you a piece and send it to you for a donation to the tea fund the long as it covers costs.

Let me know if it is any interest and I will see what thickness is I have on the shelf.
    Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information