. .
    Hi Folks

I have a Boxford VMC190 CNC

A while ago, the input/IEC socket popped, knocking of power and filling my workshop with smoke !

Anyhow, I replaced the unit ( as well as the reset button ) with a new one and the machine will still not turn on. Not a hint of powering up.

I know nothing more than a general bit of knowledge about electronics so not really sure what Im aiming for in terms of testing. Is it possible some wiggly amps got in the machine before the Home ring RCD blew ??

I have checked the obvious stuff like the lead and all ( i think ) the fuses, including the little grey ones between relays, Ive checked as best I can the boards for no blown circuitry or other components. So Im after some advice as to what could be wrong. In my images here there is a block of 4 items im not sure what they do but are in the 'turn on circuit' I think. Are they relays of some kind ? could these be kapput, are they susceptible to blowing, is it worth swapping them ?

Sorry for the Qs, I hope someone can help.

Thank you

Carl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180517_152541 (1).jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	511.5 KB 
ID:	24220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180517_152556 (1).jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	624.5 KB 
ID:	24221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180517_152606 (1).jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	767.9 KB 
ID:	24222  
    Last edited by Gasgasbones; 17-05-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Multimeter, and start checking for mains voltage would be the next step.

Start at that the IEC socket, then work the way through the circuit.
    Guessing from the photo, I'd say mains wiring will go IEC socket (with live via the circuit breaker), to the filter (silver box below the trunking with two wires on the left and three on the right), up to the terminal blocks marked 2 and 4.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasgasbones View Post
    Hi Folks

I have a Boxford VMC190 CNC

A while ago, the input/IEC socket popped, knocking of power and filling my workshop with smoke !

Anyhow, I replaced the unit ( as well as the reset button ) with a new one and the machine will still not turn on. Not a hint of powering up.

I know nothing more than a general bit of knowledge about electronics so not really sure what Im aiming for in terms of testing. Is it possible some wiggly amps got in the machine before the Home ring RCD blew ??

I have checked the obvious stuff like the lead and all ( i think ) the fuses, including the little grey ones between relays, Ive checked as best I can the boards for no blown circuitry or other components. So Im after some advice as to what could be wrong. In my images here there is a block of 4 items im not sure what they do but are in the 'turn on circuit' I think. Are they relays of some kind ? could these be kapput, are they susceptible to blowing, is it worth swapping them ?

Sorry for the Qs, I hope someone can help.

Thank you

Carl
    Where are you based? Perhaps someone close to you can pop over and help ....

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Sorry, just spotted Dorking.

Im not too far away, let me know if you come right or not.

Yep near Dorking

So if anyone is near this neck of the woods Id love someone to come and have a look !! And naturally give anyone that comes a hearty welcome, a cup o tea and a bacon butty and travel cost etc :-)

I am out of my depth with electronics. I can change stuff one for one but fault finding I certainly struggle with. I did toy with sending to Boxfords but it would cost a fortune no doubt. Id love to keep this machine, its a great little thing for sure, when its working :-)
    Last edited by Gasgasbones; 17-05-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasgasbones View Post
    Yep near Dorking

So if anyone is near this neck of the woods Id love someone to come and have a look !! And naturally give anyone that comes a hearty welcome, a cup o tea and a bacon butty and travel cost etc :-)

I am out of my depth with electronics. I can change stuff one for one but fault finding I certainly struggle with. I did toy with sending to Boxfords but it would cost a fortune no doubt. Id love to keep this machine, its a great little thing for sure, when its working :-)
    I might be able to pop around. Are you around this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I might be able to pop around. Are you around this weekend?
    Hi Chaz

I am !! Thats incredibly kind of you. Ill pop over a DM

Thread Information