. .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Still doing my research on this (materials, why some have a spring under the take up bearing etc.) but this is how the design is shaping up so far...

Wal.

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Okay, I've been thinking a bit more with regards to the springs under the take-up bearings - an example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l640.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	24249

I take it that the primary job of these springs is to pre-load the top roller to remove any slack and prevent it from flopping about when not under a printing load, with a secondary purpose of perhaps aiding the raising of the roller? Or am I missing something? Will I be making a grave error by omitting these springs from my design? I've seen other presses without 'em - but I want to be sure on their purpose and the pros and cons of having them incorporated.

I posed this exact question to a press manufacturer over in the States - he got back to me (and I'm grateful for that) but his answer to the spring question was a rather vague 'yes'. Hmm... yes as in the springs do that job, or yes as in you're making a big mistake by omitting them from your design..? And with regards to getting some general advice on material specs - well - here's what I managed to extract from him:

You have to pick the right material with the proper thickness in the right places.
    Hehe. Blood from a stone...

Anyway - back to the question - am I missing something with this spring..? Any mechanical engineers here have any thoughts on the matter..?

Wal.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Going by that photo, the springs only serve to raise the roller up when tension is removed.

If you design so just the screws lift the roller, you're likely to get a bit free movement while going from under tension to lifting the rollers. It just means you need to turn the tension screws a bit further to lift the roller.
    By adding suitable springs, it could simplify the screw design, as the spring would hold the end of the screw engaged with the bearing block/carrier.
    You could implement it so both the screw and spring do the lifting.

Any method will work, it's just you need something to lift the roller, otherwise it could be a bit of a faff getting everything loaded between the rollers.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Cheers m_c.

Yeah, it would be nice to have a bit of pre-load on the roller to eliminate any rattle when not under load. I may have to go for a spring pushing down, though (also seen in the wild) - the take up bearing I'm using has a curved underside which complicates getting a spring under there - it'll mean a bit more elbow grease when lifting the roller, but if it's too problematic I can always remove it. Thanks again.

Wal.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I'm almost definitely over-thinking this - but there's no harm in knowing the correct way of doing something...

I spent yesterday making the knobs for the pressure adjustment spindles. They're out of what I believe to be 2014 (the larger plate from which it was cut sat in a shed for 30-40-years, so it's nice to see something getting made from it..!)

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	24260 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	24261 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	24262 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	24263 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	24264

I was assuming I'd be using a standard 1.75 coarse pitch tap, but when I double checked my M12 tap, I found it to have a pitch of 1.5. This got me thinking about which thread-form would actually be most suitable for the application...

Name:	DETAIL.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	24265

The diagram should make things reasonably clear - but basically the knobs attach to a threaded rod which connects to the take-up bearing uniand allows for adjustment of the roller height and the resulting pressure that this puts on the plate/paper which is being printed.

As you can imagine - there will be a fair bit of shear force acting on the threads which are engaged in the aluminium pressure plate and this is where I'd like to know a bit more about which thread-form would do a better job a withstanding this force. I've done a bit of (non-technical) reading on the matter, and Wikipedia says:

Coarse threads are more resistant to stripping and cross threading because they have greater flank engagement. Coarse threads install much faster as they require fewer turns per unit length. Finer threads are stronger as they have a larger stress area for the same diameter thread. Fine threads are less likely to vibrate loose as they have a smaller helix angle and allow finer adjustment. Finer threads develop greater preload with less tightening torque.
    Which leaves me a bit confused - Yep - I want something that's more resistant to stripping so 1.75, then? Oh hold on, finer threads are stronger (?!), allow for finer adjustment and develop greater preload with less effort - excellent - so a finer pitch, then..? But wait - I've also read that a finer pitch is more susceptible to stripping and galling in 'softer' materials, like aluminium. Bugger, so back to the coarse pitch of 1.75, then?

Hehe. What would you guys do? And this is before the suitability of materials in even considered - high tensile vs. stainless vs. aluminium... 😂

Wal.

From an non mechanically-minded perspective, I'd say if the difference between a 1.5mm and a 1.75mm thread is the difference between the thread working or failing, then you're too close to the edge. I'd go with the tooling that you already have, and if you strip the thread use that newly purchased lathe that you just know that you need to turn a tapped steel insert into the newly reamed hole in the ali pressure plate. Or re-make the whole plate from steel.

Preload?, if ease of turning is an issue make a bigger hand wheel - but I doubt that it is. Finer control?, not really much of a difference to worry about.

>I'd go with the tooling that you already have

Heh - well, I have threaded rod in 1.75 and, yep - you've guessed it - taps in 1.5...!

Wal.
    Last edited by Wal; 26-05-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Ah, one of those classic Homer moments. Doh!

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Generally in softer materials, bigger pitch is better.

For this kind of application though, some form of square/acme thread would probably be a more suitable application, but that can get expensive.
    I think I'd personally go for finer, rather than courser, as the forces aren't going to be that big in the grand scheme of things. If it does strip, either remake the top bars in steel, or put a helicoil in the aluminium.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Good call on the ACME - the thought had crossed my mind, but I just assumed too expensive and a bit more of a hassle to come by. My assumption regarding the expense was wrong:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-10-AC...-/382095182523

- that's about half the price of 1m of 1.5 pitch high tensile threaded rod - and I only need around 12", and this tap seems like good value:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/35213872052...7750313&crdt=0

If you dig a bit deeper, though, you'll see the rod's readily available in metric, but the taps aren't... Or if they are then they're a couple of hundred quid..!

Right, I'm faffing now. I've ordered a coarse 12mm tap (not in ignorance of your suggestion m_c - I looked at what I already had and what was going to give me the least amount of ball-ache going forward..) - I'll try it. If it's shite then I'll remake it so it's not shite. 👍

Wal.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information