. .
    Hi

Finally took the courage and started to cut some wood this evening after so much checking and double checking of a new replacment build.
    Using a CRP2448 with the 2.2kw spindle i did the model in Fusion then output to Mach3.

I want to cut 'sapele' and i have set a 10mm Bull Nose cutter in an adaptive cut at 8000rpm and 3800mm/min. This seems to be what i keep coming too with various checks.

So i start the climb cut and it goes down to 10mm doc and as far as i can see 2mm width (although in fusion it says opt load 4mm), it runs sweet along the grain but when it went across it chattered like hell and i had to stop it.

It may be that i have not secured it absolutely rock solid and its that, but tbh i had got it much more secure than any i have done before due to the nature of the beast i am now using (used a High-z 720 before.)
    Can anyone who may have cut this type of wood before offer any advise please
    thank you malc
    Last edited by BernieNUFC; 21-05-2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: 'climb' added

2. Sapele is quite hard. 10mm doc is probably way too much for an aluminium framed machine. Might work if your bit is razor sharp

3. The Following User Says Thank You to battwell For This Useful Post:

The cutter is brand new, i would not normally cut to this DOC but the rave is that adaptive is able to do just that so hence why i tried it out :-)
    cheers for reply

Machine rigidity is key to cutting capability.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

6. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Machine rigidity is key to cutting capability.
    Can i change any settings with sapele to compensate, the peice is 25mm h x 40mm w and 400mm l so its not a massive peice by any means, thanks

Ball Nose Cutters all suffer from zero cutting speed at the very tip, have you considered roughing with a straight cutter and finishing with with the Ball Nosed cutter?

I am using a Bull nose as opposed to a ball nose for the clearing operation, on a 10mm dia it only has 1mm corner rad
    cheers

10. Try the same cut but depth per level at 5mm
    See how that works

Quote Originally Posted by BernieNUFC View Post
    I am using a Bull nose
    Might as well say 10mm endmill with a 1mm corner radius as no one will guess the corner radius.

Is it 2 flute?

How are you getting to your depth of cut? If you are not using a ramped or interpolated path to clear a starting pocket that's bigger than your end mill then any cut from the start point is full cutter width, not adaptive.

I ordered it as a Bull Mill specific for the rail and i figuered an end mill might be too harsh....hmmm
    Anyway, i lead in/out both vertical and Horizontal of 1mm on a helix ramp, and an angle of 2 degrees the ramp dia being 7.5mm.
    I had to redo the whole drawing so am now only just back at the cam setup stage, i hope to create and test the new toolpath tonight with a doc of 6mm (sorry battwell i had already decide on 6 for some reason but at least i am close :-) ) and width cut of 2mm.
    Cheers Malc
    Last edited by BernieNUFC; 23-05-2018 at 06:59 PM.

Thread Information