. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by dfox1787 View Post
    nice ill give that a go on some scrap aluminium.
    Give it a try, but expect to break many small bits. In my opinion it is better to go out and buy some good quality 2.5mm spiral drills. Drilling is much faster and 2.5mm is not that expensive or difficult to find.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A_Camera For This Useful Post:

Thank you. I was worried about breaking bits. I thought about spotting and then using bench drill.

Do you know anywhere to get descent spiral drill bits?
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Give it a try, but expect to break many small bits. In my opinion it is better to go out and buy some good quality 2.5mm spiral drills. Drilling is much faster and 2.5mm is not that expensive or difficult to find.
    Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dfox1787 View Post
    Thank you. I was worried about breaking bits. I thought about spotting and then using bench drill.

Do you know anywhere to get descent spiral drill bits?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Yes, but that won't help you. I am buying mine locally in Sweden in a shop near me.

Give it a try, but expect to break many small bits.
    Crikey, you must have issues with your CAM or machine!
    I've never broken a milling cutter when using a helical path to cut a hole slightly larger than the cutter up to 5 diameters deep. Provided you use air nozzles to clear chips it's a very low stress job for the cutter, climb milling with a very small step over and DOC, it's a quick process too and ideal if your spindle only does high speed.
    This strategy also works well for jobs where it's faster to machine an appropriate starter or guide hole then finish on a manual drill press.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Crikey, you must have issues with your CAM or machine!
    I've never broken a milling cutter when using a helical path to cut a hole slightly larger than the cutter up to 5 diameters deep. Provided you use air nozzles to clear chips it's a very low stress job for the cutter, climb milling with a very small step over and DOC, it's a quick process too and ideal if your spindle only does high speed.
    This strategy also works well for jobs where it's faster to machine an appropriate starter or guide hole then finish on a manual drill press.
    The comment was to somebody who has no experience with it. Yes, I broke a few at the beginning... Anyway, yes, some times it is practical and may even be faster, but most times drilling using drill is faster than through milling. It is also easier to drill deeper holes using spiral drill than milling them using long mill bits. Especially small holes, like he needs to drill, I'd not bother milling. Large holes are different.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    I would also recommend that if you need to do anything larger than 4mm or so (with a 2.2KW type spindle), consider milling the holes. If you need accuracy, do them slightly undersize and then ream them.

The comment was to somebody who has no experience with it.
    I started with no experience, I used HSM Advisor with the good advice to start at 50% of recommended feed and see how it goes, air and lube and I didn't break any bits in Aluminium, it's easy-peasy, try 304 SS, that's more challenging ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I started with no experience, I used HSM Advisor with the good advice to start at 50% of recommended feed and see how it goes, air and lube and I didn't break any bits in Aluminium, it's easy-peasy, try 304 SS, that's more challenging ;-)
    That's very good, but I am not that perfect, so yes, it did happen that I broke a bit or two, and in fact, even today it can happen. I don't think there is a shame in that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information