. .
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Looking to build a frame around my lathe, steel is cheaper than Alu. What thickness would suffice to make a cover of sorts for my Lathe? Trying to enclose it as much as possible to stop coolant spray / mess.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It'll depend on how much you want to brace it to stop vibrations.

0.6/0.8mm would need a reasonable amount of bracing (or strategic folds/ribs/kinks) to give it strength on large flat areas and avoid it resonating.
    1mm shouldn't need much reinforcing except for large flat panels and around openings.
    1.2mm shouldn't need any reinforcing.

Off course, the thicker you use, the more effort it takes to cut/bend, and weight can quickly add up, so it's a bit of a trade off.
    Ideally I'd probably use 0.8 for large simple panels with a few ribs to save weight, then 1/1.2 for any with openings/doors with suitable folds to provide a strong structure. In practice, I'd likely use whatever I have lying around at the time.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    It'll depend on how much you want to brace it to stop vibrations.

0.6/0.8mm would need a reasonable amount of bracing (or strategic folds/ribs/kinks) to give it strength on large flat areas and avoid it resonating.
    1mm shouldn't need much reinforcing except for large flat panels and around openings.
    1.2mm shouldn't need any reinforcing.

Off course, the thicker you use, the more effort it takes to cut/bend, and weight can quickly add up, so it's a bit of a trade off.
    Ideally I'd probably use 0.8 for large simple panels with a few ribs to save weight, then 1/1.2 for any with openings/doors with suitable folds to provide a strong structure. In practice, I'd likely use whatever I have lying around at the time.
    Thanks. In steel or alu or dont mind (based on what you have)?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Steel.

I've not got the equipment, or the motivation to deal with welding aluminium.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Thread Information