. .
    Hi

I’m on my second build for routing wood, plastics and occasionally alu. Will be using geared nema 24 steppers on 4 axis, 2.2kw spindle, Mach 3 etc.

I currently use a geck540, which is great but i’m seeing cheaper/ different alternatives, like the kit thats on ebay at the moment for 4 pcs nema 24 and M542T drivers that the same price all together as the gecko just on its own.

What would be a suitable alternative to my Gecko?

Thanks
    Last edited by marbles; 30-05-2018 at 07:19 PM.

2. Okay,

First question is this machine Hobby, Semi-Hobby (you are going to be making your own commercial items on it, but not full time business), Semi-Business (it needs to earn it's way and might do client work on it), to Business? Because as you go down the road of less cost on your drivers you increase the risk of issues with the drives and how sensitive they are to noise. That and how well they will handle the power (with current being the bigger part of the issue) that is needed to get truly smooth motion and control out of the drivers.

The answers above will give you about 80% of your answer below. i went the cheaper route to start with and it cost me a good bit of business in the beginning a lesson that I would prefer other don't repeat (it get's expensive and regaining trust is not easy in the business world). So the answer is it depends, what is the use of the machine?

Michael
    Software SolidWorks 2024, Onshape, Aspire v9.5, Blender
    CNC Machine: http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/3661-...Second-machine
    3D printers both FDM/FFD and MSLA resin
    CSWA &CSWA-AM certified
    www.marino-customs.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to m.marino For This Useful Post:

This would be classed as a Semi-Business machine build. I'm not concerned about the rapids speed or volume this machine can do but its consistent accuracy.

The use of the machine is to carve 3D protype models in milling composite, wood and foamboard. It'll actually be an XYZ with a AB head on a deep Z axis. It also needs to carve positive and negative forms as molds. I'm expecting to be able to switch the AB head out to put in a regular 2.2kw spindle for milling some smaller aluminium parts.
    Last edited by marbles; 30-05-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Why skimp on stepper drivers? Good ones cost £100 each, never look back.

Purchased a set of 2DM556 so going down the digital route :)

Thread Information