. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Hi,

Might as well ask here instead of only trawling ebay.

I am looking for a few items, single phase ideally but can manage with 3 phase sub 4-5 KW.

Compressor, something like a Hydrovane 23. Ive got an 'average' SGS 100L type but want something better / more quiet.

Drill, something decent, perhaps something like a Pollard / Meddings.

Bench Grinder, stronger the better.

Bandsaw, what do you have?

Thanks

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Nothing? Surprised ....

Compressor might be sorted but still looking at the rest.

Thanks

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Do you really think we'd tell you if there was something we wanted ourselves? ;-)

Unfortunately, machinery dealers if you're in a rush are most reliable but you'll pay for the privilege.
    I've used quillstar.co.uk previously, and they're pretty reasonable to deal with. It's run alongside a big machinery dealer which I can't remember the name of, with big stuff going through the main company, and smaller more hobbyist type stuff goes through Quillstar. (edit - just checked, and the main company is https://www.brookesmachinetools.co.uk/ )
    It's worth hunting out your local dealers, especially if they've got regularly updated websites, but expect single phase stuff to move quite quickly.

It's also worth keeping an eye on the homeworkshop.org.uk and model engineer classifieds, as bargains do occasionally pop-up.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thanks m_c, I know some of you hoard good stuff, was being hopeful.

Was suggested to look at this instead of taking risk with 2nd hand hydrovane or similar. The 'blue line' stuff meant to be decent and cast iron cylinders a lot quieter (70 vs 97 db) on the compressor.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...mpressor-230v/

I think most of us have gone through the buying/replacing, fixing/modifying processes and have what we want and want what we have ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Any good?

Denford 'Viceroy' Bench Drill.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Main reason the cast iron is quieter, is it runs slower.
    Personally, I'd be dubious about secondhand compressors unless you know their history. Admittedly Hydrovane's can be rebuilt for not that much, but it depends on just how much they've been neglected/worn.

I do happen to have two Hydrovane's tucked away in the shed. One's a 1.1KW which I'm wanting to get plumbed in for general use, and the other is an engine driven one equivalent to a 2.2KW. They're pretty much identical airheads, just one runs at twice the speed of the other (I'd like to know if there are any actual differences between the airheads as I'd like to swap the motor on the 1.1KW to double it's output, but have so far not found any suitable parts manuals).

If you're going to be running the compressor a lot, I would consider a new Hydrovane, or even a screw compressor, as even a quiet piston compressor will annoy you if running nearby for any length of time. Plus vane/screw compressors are more efficient, but they do have to be run for an extended period occasionally to make sure the oil gets hot enough for long enough so too much moisture doesn't build up in the oil, or just change the oil more regularly.
    Hydrovane's can be had in single phase for under £2000 (search HV01RM or HV02RM), or screw compressors for just over (ABAC Spinn C40 are available in 2.2KW single phase)

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Main reason the cast iron is quieter, is it runs slower.
    Personally, I'd be dubious about secondhand compressors unless you know their history. Admittedly Hydrovane's can be rebuilt for not that much, but it depends on just how much they've been neglected/worn.

I do happen to have two Hydrovane's tucked away in the shed. One's a 1.1KW which I'm wanting to get plumbed in for general use, and the other is an engine driven one equivalent to a 2.2KW. They're pretty much identical airheads, just one runs at twice the speed of the other (I'd like to know if there are any actual differences between the airheads as I'd like to swap the motor on the 1.1KW to double it's output, but have so far not found any suitable parts manuals).

If you're going to be running the compressor a lot, I would consider a new Hydrovane, or even a screw compressor, as even a quiet piston compressor will annoy you if running nearby for any length of time. Plus vane/screw compressors are more efficient, but they do have to be run for an extended period occasionally to make sure the oil gets hot enough for long enough so too much moisture doesn't build up in the oil, or just change the oil more regularly.
    Hydrovane's can be had in single phase for under £2000 (search HV01RM or HV02RM), or screw compressors for just over (ABAC Spinn C40 are available in 2.2KW single phase)
    Thanks, thing is, these are big money for hobby use. I was told that the Hydrovanes have a fairly irritating higher pitched noise, suppose its all relative. Im expecting some prices from a guy called 'compressorman'. He advises not buying on ebay due to uncertain quality but a lot of it sounds like scare tactics me thinks ...

I can't comment on a 2.2KW hydrovane as I've not heard an electric one running, but the 1.1KW is fairly quiet. You could quite easily have a conversation next to it, and is far less annoying than a direct drive piston compressor rattling.

What about the enclosed/sound proofed compressors?

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I can't comment on a 2.2KW hydrovane as I've not heard an electric one running, but the 1.1KW is fairly quiet. You could quite easily have a conversation next to it, and is far less annoying than a direct drive piston compressor rattling.

What about the enclosed/sound proofed compressors?
    Which ones are those or are you talking about taking a compressor and putting it in a box (which I am thinking of doing anyways).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information