. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Christ that is one helpful chap and the software does everything i think I will ever need in regards to engraving.

I had a proper play with the machine last night, actually managed to make the motors move a lot quickly by changing the speed parameters.

I have a lot of other parameters which im not sure whats the bst setting for such as acceleration, deceleration (both in the motion and motor section)

I have set the blend option to .01mm as it was "juddering" when doing curve's when I set it to 0 but was not doing 90 degree points when it was set to 1.5mm

Estlecam vids have helped me shed loads so far tbf, going to watch the vids again tonight, but just need these parameters and any other which may be relevant explaining in layman's terms.

Learning loads each day now
    Enthusiastic with CNC stuff but a proper novice so be gentle
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Fusion360 is a very capable program, however if you're only planning on doing engraving, it would be very much overkill. It's best suited to 3D modelling, or where you want to create tool paths/G-code from 3D models.

I've only ever had a quick play with Estlcam. I found it pretty easy to use, but that comes with the sacrifice of it being a bit limited in what it can do. But all these programs are trying their best to compromise between simplicity, and capability. The more capable they are, the less simple they become, so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The rounded corners is down to controller settings. In standard mode (G64 constant velocity mode), what the controller (well the trajectory planner within the controller to be exact) attempts to do is maintain the requested feedrate, but obviously it has to allow for acceleration/deceleration of the axis. When it approaches a sharp corner, it has to start decelerating one axis into the corner, while starting to accelerate the other axis out of the corner, which leads to move blending/corner rounding.
    There are normally various settings to control how corners are handled. The blend option I'm guessing controls how much the machine can deviate from the toolpath/g-code. By reducing it to zero, what you're essentially doing is telling the controller you don't want any deviation from the requested toolpath, so to keep on the toolpath, the machine has to start/stop between each segment (some CAM and controllers will split arcs into small straight sections), which is what causes your 'juddering' on arcs.
    Some controllers also have a Break angle setting, which sets the corner angle above which an exact stop should happen to ensure a sharp corner I.e if it's set to 89 degrees, an 88 degree corner would be rounded, whereas as 90 degree corners shouldn't.

There may also be an option to enable exact stop mode (G61). What that does is force the controller to not round/smooth/blend any move. It'll accelerate/decelerate on every move. It gives you the option of forcing the controller to create a sharp corner where needed, and then disabling it to smooth other corners to maximise feedrate.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

3. I see, slowly getting more knowledge on this, do you think my motion speed is a tad slow as ive set it to 400?

I got the motors up to 2500 but they were making some mad noises and defo didnt like it.

Also in the estlecam software i cant set the z exis depth to a - value. I have it set up so that if I want to engrave 4mm deep the cutting depth is -4mm but it seems to only like positive values?
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

The depth is what it says it is, itworks from the start level, which is usually the top face of the workpiece. When it generates the Gcode you will see negative no's. Be careful if setting depth with a start level value as it drives the Z axis the sum of the two
    Last edited by johnsattuk; 13-06-2018 at 08:23 PM.

5. i see,

im going toi purchase the license late

just doing another tag with some new setting just with the cad - dxf - planet method.

believe it or not I found the estlecam a bit tricky when I just had a quick go, kept selecting things multiple time lol

Once ive got a few mins this evening I shall post up some pics and if you dont mind please talk me through it if thats ok chaps :-)
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

Quote Originally Posted by ravihotwok View Post
    believe it or not I found the estlecam a bit tricky when I just had a quick go, kept selecting things multiple time lol
    Once you have selected an operation ie: 'a part' it will keep selecting every time you click, I usually go to 'select' in between operations.

I think you would find most other programs more tricky than Estlcam, it does have it's own little quirks but so do most others

7. i see, I have a lot of text, but i have had to explode it in autocad due to the font so there is shed loads of items to select :-(
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I see, slowly getting more knowledge on this, do you think my motion speed is a tad slow as ive set it to 400?
    That brings you on to the next area you'll need to learn about, speeds and feeds.
    Every cutter will have recommended ranges for feed per tooth, and surface cutting speed.

From those figures, you can calculate the recommended feedrate and spindle speed, however the recommended feedrate will either be limited by either your machines feedrate, or spindle speed, so a compromise has to be reached. Tooth loading is ultimately king, as too low and the cutter will rub and wear out far quicker. Too high, and the cutter will likely snap.
    The recommended feeds/speeds, are just that, recommended. They are a starting point. As you gain experience you'll learn what works, or doesn't work with your setup.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

10. thanks m_c, currently ive just been using the spindle on full speed and adjusting the feed rate to just under a speed when it doesnt distort

Yep I know, how crap am i.

When you specify the feed rate, is this the speed when it is cutting? not the speed of which it moves from tool path to tool path?
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

thanks m_c, currently ive just been using the spindle on full speed and adjusting the feed rate to just under a speed when it doesnt distort

Yep I know, how crap am i.

When you specify the feed rate, is this the speed when it is cutting? not the speed of which it moves from tool path to tool path?
    Everybody has been there. I don't think anybody will deny to begin with it can be overwhelming, but you've just got to take it one step at a time. You've at least made it to the point where you can machine things, so it's just a case of gradually learning more about each part of that process.

You have two key modes in terms of feedrate.
    G0, which is move at rapid speed, aka as fast as the machine can move.
    Then G1, G2, and G3, which is move at the set feedrate, or as fast the machine can move given the requested moves. G1 is a linear move, whereas G2/3 are arc moves. There are more G-codes that use the set feedrate, but I very much doubt you'll use them for engraving.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information