. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadhead View Post
    Chaz - Thanks. Did you use the rotary encoder?
    I do use a rotary encoder. Its bolted on a shaft that comes out of the gearbox of my machine (1:1 ratio). Im not using Mach however.

Chaz THanks again. Has anyone connected such a rotary encoder to Mach 3 please?

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Chaz THanks again. Has anyone connected such a rotary encoder to Mach 3 please?
    Im sure, certainly that's the way that you deal with speed checking and indexing on Mach 3 too. I tried via my Pokeys board but gave up with Pokeys and then Mach 3.

Where did you go after Mach 3?

Where did you go after Mach 3?
    Centroid Acorn. So much better.

I highly recommend using an optical encoder, even like a cheap amt-102, for the index signal.

But this will need a high-speed interface board, as the signal is very crisp - what you want - and very short so only good motion control hw will be able to read it.

I tried about 10 different solutions - and am now using full industrial servos with index and a csmio-ip-s interface kit from cslabs.

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo2 View Post
    I highly recommend using an optical encoder, even like a cheap amt-102, for the index signal.

But this will need a high-speed interface board, as the signal is very crisp - what you want - and very short so only good motion control hw will be able to read it.

I tried about 10 different solutions - and am now using full industrial servos with index and a csmio-ip-s interface kit from cslabs.
    Do you use Mach or the CS Labs' new Software?

Have you tried Centroid Acorn?

Also, we are still waiting for pics from your machine(s) please :-)

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    There's no use recommending encoders when we don't even know if Leadhead's setup will even work with an encoder.

We really need to know what kind of controller the lathe is using, or if it's just using a parallel port, as it may just need some form of single slot sensor.

Plus Hanermo, those AMT encoders are not optical, they're capacitive. They would probably be ok for a continually moving axis though.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Gentlemen, Thank you for your assistance.
    The lathe is a very simple Denford slantbed running Mach 3.
    I am led to believe it will work quite effectively with a £2.50 Halls effect switch and a magnet on the spindle. After all your posts. I hope you will forgive the lack of sophistication (for the moment) I just have to try it, as have just seen a little Emco 5 conversion running Mach 3 threading. With the assurance that it has not missed a beat, having been programmed from F360 and a little tweak on the post processor. Just a couple of 3d prints required to hold things in situ.
    Since I do not use the lathe that frequently, a Heath Robinson car boot solution. If I can get it to work, might suit the budget very well?

Chaz - Very interested in Centroid Acorn experience. Been studying it for while. Looming pile of vertical router bits laying in the corner looking for a control solution.

One thing to watch out for is that if your new motor is not controlled from M3, M3 won't know if it's running. You need to start the motor AND press the "Spindle" button.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information