. .
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    As Rod said.
    Hi Clyde, who's Rod?

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by cropwell; 24-07-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Well spotted now edited.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thank you Rob for the detailed answer.

Got it. Metal box at least for the vfd, ideally for everything else.
    By shielded box, do you mean just an earthed metal enclosure, or aluminium foil :P or like a faraday cage with chicken wire?

Out of curiosity, Clive, about the fire hazard, how hot do this components get?
    I did it from particle board cause it.s easy and fast, and I put all components on a metal plate, actually on the side panels of the pc enclosure, as I dismanteled it. All panels beeing raised half an inch from the wood.s surface. I could not wait to have the cnc running, and was planning to upgrade after a few months of use, and yes, I.m aware it.s a crap and unprofessional design, but it seemed to me a resonable prop at the time.

And should I add an enclosure fan to the drivers as well, as I already have 2 for the vfd enclosure.

Hi,

If you don't want to replace the control box with a metal one, you could line it with aluminium foil (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat) but to be any use it would need to be earthed. I don't think the guy in the wiki is grounded (I apologise if you don't get that joke straight away, it is a little play on the vernacular - in this instance 'grounded' means connected to reality).

LIDL sells adhesive backed foil tape, when they have it.
    Last edited by cropwell; 26-07-2018 at 12:35 AM.

I just googled what vernacular means. .
    Thank you for sharing the joke. Jokes actually, as the noisy bob was funny as well.
    And for the extra description. :)

May I, in exchange, share a simple one with you. Did not hear it in english as yet, but I might be wrong.

John speaking to his son in an encouraging manner.
    - Come one son, take a step, come one, another one, yeah... yeah, that it, like this, smaaall and slooow. MARRY!!!, bring the camera quick!!, our son has come from the prom.

Quote Originally Posted by Radu_Andrei View Post
    John speaking to his son in an encouraging manner.
    - Come one son, take a step, come one, another one, yeah... yeah, that it, like this, smaaall and slooow. MARRY!!!, bring the camera quick!!, our son has come from the prom.
    Jokes rarely work in translation, this is no exception :-(
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

True. But worth a try.

Probably a adapted translation would have pointet out better the initial assumption that a father is teaching his child to walk for the first time, and the pun, that actualy he.s son was just drunk, and faced the same challenges as a toddler.

Non verbal humor tends to work best for an international audience. Mr Bean, Charlie Chaplin, Benny Hill etc

Here.s not the place for that. We.ll stick to technical discussions.

Although, magiciner, I would be glad if you would post a link with the type of jokes and humor appreciated by yourself. Just to have a read, without bothering any admin by posting random unrelated topics.

We.ll get back with the cnc progress soon, as it takes a bit of time to implement Rob.s instructions.

Hi again.
    Just to test to see if it improves anything, I used some zinc sheet metal to shield the control box.
    Earthed and everything, it did not make much difference.
    So I started to disconnect components, and removed the vfd from his own shielded box, and then unplugged the limit switches fom the breakout board, and all was left was the pc with the drivers, sources and steppers.
    The steppers are earthed at the driver end, everything at a star point as recommended. Checked all shield with the multimeter, and it.s all good.

The only thing done questionable is that I have one stepper cable, which I measured wrong, and had to join it to another bit, each of the 4 wires twisted and taped, and did the same with the shield, put some aluminium foil on top, and taped all over it. Not great, but it should not be a bigger deal than any other type of connection.
    Also the limit switches are the cheap lever type. Even if not the best, they are not connected to anything now, and still have issues.

I removed all flexible couplings, and have the motors running without any load.

THE PROBLEM: randomly, the motors stall, all 3 of them, some a more often than others. Simply keeping pressed the keyboard arrow keys, they run ok, for 5, 10 even 30 seconds, then at least one stalls.
    I,ve loaded a default g code, those coming with the software, and the same problem. I changed the motor turning config to acc 50 and speed 300, 400, 500, still have the problem.

I.ll remove all steppers tomorrow and connect them directly to the drivers. At least to exclude the cables as well.

The motors are 5.6A and the drivers set to 4.9A Peak, 3.5A RMS.
    The drivers are DQ860MA and wired like this: +5v to PUL +(+5v), and bridged to DIR+ and ENBL+, then PULL- and DIR- go to the pins 2 and 3 for example on the BoB, ENBL- is not wired. The other 6 terminals are 2 for the source and 4 for the stepper.
    The breakout board is db 25-1205.

I.m working on the metal cases, control box and vfd box, suggested by Rob and Clive, but I can not go further with the design and construction, until I figure out the cause of this stall.
    I.ve already tried to separate the components and to shield all boxes and ground them. I rechecked all wires, including the drivers, and rewired those with twisted cables inside the control box. This wires between the sources and drivers and the BoB are not shielded. Everything else is.
    I had a touch plate fitted and disconnected it as well, as it concerned me that the wire connected to the spindle, and to the chasis as is all conductive materials, sends a ground signal into the input pin of the BoB and might cause problems. Does it?

I.ll even remove tomorrow all other wires from the drag chain and leave only the steppers. It might exclude something else.

BUT I higly suspect the BoB.
    What do you think guys? What am I missing?

I am sorry you seem to have all these problems but keep at it as it will be worth it in the end.

What power supply are you using for the drives?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information