. .
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Hi.
    Here.s another photo with the Mobo. Maybe it clarifies some things.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0285.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	463.9 KB 
ID:	24728
    So I did remove the hard drive and it alllowed me to enter the Bios, so I deleted everything from the hard drive and started a new installation of windows xp sp3 x86.
    It failed the first time, but went ok. ish the second time. After installing everything, I just got a black screen with Error loading operating system.
    So I.ve burned anothed dvd with Recovery Essentials Windows XP and ran that, and applied an automated fix and I could start the PC.
    I.ve got this two errors in the process and I have no ideea what they mean.

Name:	DSC_0283.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	240.4 KB 
ID:	24729

Name:	DSC_0287.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	24730
    Regarding the IDe settings, here.s a photo with the Bios

Name:	DSC_0297.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	24731
    I.m searching now for some drivers, as in XP device manager, under Other Devices, I don.t have any driver.
    I.ve found a cd with xp drivers for win xp, but there are so many, so I need to figure out which ones are the right one. For example, in LAN drivers I.ve got Atheros, Broadcom, Intel, JMicron, Marvell, Realtek, VIA.
    I did this things many years ago, so I guess they.ll come back to me.

At least, now I have available the Standard PC option in device manager, so I can change the energy management of this unit. We.ll see if it works when I.ll get there.

looking at your photo

Name:	ASUS M B.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	405.5 KB 
ID:	24732

you can see two RealTek IC's

I expect the larger one near to the heatsink will contain the LAN

the small one in the top left corner is the onboard sound chip

on the mother board
    hidden under the heatsinks are the

Intel 945GC Northbridge
    and Intel ICH7 Southbridge

John
    Last edited by john swift; 29-08-2018 at 01:45 PM. Reason: add ref to North & South bridge IC's

https://www.asus.com/uk/supportonly/...Desk_Download/

Try here

The LAN chip is above the battery and PCI ex1 socket. If you can read the make (I suspect it is Atheros) that will help you determine the LAN driver. Once you have the LAN drivers installed you can get onto t'Interweb and get other drivers installed.

In Device Manager/Hardware I usually check for yellow exclamation marks or question marks, but once I get to a state where everything seems to work, I lose interest in sorting out problems which do not affect me.
    Last edited by cropwell; 29-08-2018 at 03:13 PM.

LAN chip is Atheros Attansic L2 0725 B71654B - I might be wrong with some numbers as it.s very small written

Name:	DSC_0298.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	24733
    Changing from ACPI to Standard Pc brings up this Found New Hardware message. Also windows fails to load first time, so it show Start Windows Normally and doing this, works just fine.

Name:	DSC_0300.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	24734
    Also in device manager things change.

Name:	DSC_0303.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	24735
    Changing back to ACPI makes the thing go away. The massage and failure to load windows.

This drivers from the link provided confuse me a lot, as downloading the LAN driver for example I get inside the folder many other things, PXE, RPL, RTEGROM.206 and many others inside these as well.
    In the ones I have, in the Atheros folder, I have Atheros (AR8121, 8113, 8114... and Atheros (L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10 100 1000...
    I.m thinking of installing all of them until one works. It did not seem to be a problem in my distant past.

Anyway, for people who do this regularly might be easy and fast, but for me it.s not. It took me more than half a day so far. Tedious thing...awwff. Long live Windows 10!

Hi again.
    In the end I tried all drivers and nothing worked, and mainly because the device manager does not detect any network adapter under windows xp installation. checked the bios and it is enabled in there.
    Anyway, as the Lan driver can wait, I.ve installed mach3, did the setup, and tested the cnc. Same problem. Jerky steppers. Changed the kernel speed to 35000 and no difference.
    Ran the Drivertest in mach 3 folder and it.s pulsing to slow, and that time line is all over the place.
    Changed the computer driver in device manager from ACPI to Standard Pc and now the pc would keep restarting after the bios option. I could reintall everything and probably would work just fine for normal use, but not for cnc. At least I.ve tested the windows xp, and no difference compared to win7, in my case.

I.ve spoke with a friend that has a computer shop and he could find the suppliers for various old motherboards. This one that dazp1976 mentioned, GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L, 775, DDR2, PCI Express , goes here for apx 25-30Euro, and then an Intel celeron procesor, single or dual core, 2-3 euro a piece, might need the fan and everything but my friend will get and assamble all that. Also have the option of buying online from other people some old pcs, but the options are limited.

My question is what desktop pcs do you use guys? Rob, Clive, John?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 45 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Personally I don't think this is pc related.

Can we have a refresh where you are at. ie a new vid showing the problem?

What PS are you using for the drives? Voltage?

What setting have you set the drives to ?

what setting do you now have in Mach?
    Last edited by Clive S; 31-08-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

My CNC computer is a Pentium4 based processor 2.4GHz with 1 Gb RAM It is configured ACPI. I run XP and have taken out all unnecessary Windows options like Games etc.

Looking at your screen shots, you would be best to sort out the yellow exclamation on the ECP driver. I tend to agree with Clive, the major problem lies elsewhere.

All of the Yellow Question Marks can wait, unless you need networking for something else. I have removed the Internet gateway so that I can network my CNC machine for access to files in my NAS box, but remain disconnected from hackers and malware.
    Last edited by cropwell; 31-08-2018 at 01:28 PM.

Dear Clive.
    There isn.t any new problem other than in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWlVfyy1hFU. This is the problem I have for over a month ago. I could not fix this.
    I.ve changed the enclosure and rewired everything and in the end I.ve got the same problem. Stalling, jerking, strange noise etc.
    I use the power supplies included in the kit, for 1200oz nema 34 steppers, in this case S-350-60, 60V, 5.85A, DC Output.
    The driver settings are as stated in the first post, ..Dip switches set as OFF OFF ON ON OFF ON ON OFF , which sets the thing to 4.9A Peak, 3.5A RMS, Full Current from SW4 (i don,t really know how to set this), and 2000 pulse/rev. The next current setting is 5.7A peak... And I changed this to 800 rev/min and 1600 rev/min in order to see how it goes.
    Settings in Mach3, there are plenty. Could you please be more specific.

Dear Rob,
    The yellow exclamation did not exist with the previous installation of windows7. These are all new things the win xp experience.

I.m quite aware by now that you are qualified and smart guys, and know your craft, and I don.t mean any disrespect, but this ..Pulsing to slow.. does not raise any concern to anyone?

In the video, it looks and sounds like the stepper is stalling,In the Motor Tuning, try dropping the velocity and acceleration to 50% of what you have got it set at. If this solves the problem put it up to 75% of the original value. Then go up until it stalls and back off to where it doesn't stall.

If that doesn't help you then we have to think deeper.

Sw4 puts it to half current when idle and is normally set on.
    Last edited by cropwell; 01-09-2018 at 02:52 AM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 45 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I agree with Rob on this. I think you are using Nema34 motors so your voltage will not be high enough to drive them fast.

The driver settings are as stated in the first post, ..Dip switches set as OFF OFF ON ON OFF ON ON OFF
    It would be helpful to say what drives they are without having to troll back through all the posts.

What micro setting do you have now?
    Last edited by Clive S; 01-09-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread Information