. .
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Got it. Thanks you.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Sod is a general term of annoyance
    (British English, taboo, slang) used to refer to a person, especially a man, that you are annoyed with or think is unpleasant You stupid sod! (British English, taboo, slang) used with an adjective to refer to a person, especially a man The poor old sod got the sack yesterday. You lucky sod!
    the surface of the ground, with the grass growing on it; turf.

only joking
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Sod it Clive!

:))

Quote Originally Posted by Radu_Andrei View Post
    :))
    Does that mean you are happy or does it mean you have a double chin ?

It means from what I.ve got, if I managed to understand it right, that Clive was a bit of a sod, by pointing out in detail the meaning of the lexicon used. No double chin here, just amused. :)
    Still, I can.t help but asking, in usual dialogue, is this term used in a derogatory manner, or not? I mean like, for example in spanish, and perhaps in english as well, hijo de puta/son of a bitch, can be used as an offense, or as a casual expression, sometimes used by men to express respect to the achievements of other men, without sounding creepy. I can.t explain it better, but I.m sure you get the point. The tone of voice gives the meaning, not the words.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    sod it, its late good nite
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

It means from what I.ve got, if I managed to understand it right, that Clive was a bit of a sod, by pointing out in detail the meaning of the lexicon used. No double chin here, just amused. :)
    Still, I can.t help but asking, in usual dialogue, is this term used in a derogatory manner, or not? I mean like, for example in spanish, and perhaps in english as well, hijo de puta/son of a bitch, can be used as an offense, or as a casual expression, sometimes used by men to express respect to the achievements of other men, without sounding creepy. I can.t explain it better, but I.m sure you get the point. The tone of voice gives the meaning, not the words.
    In fact, I was just obliquely pointing out that 'sod' can also be used as a verb e.g. 'sod off' means 'go away'. In English ' sod' is a fairly mild expression.
    'Sod it' means that you are no longer interested in 'it' and also slightly annoyed with 'it'.
    Last edited by cropwell; 18-09-2018 at 11:44 PM.

Well.it.s quite appropriate for a non native english speaker to ˇˇsod offˇˇ at this point. Not meaning that I.m not interested or annoyed, but only that it.s too much english in here. :P

You're quite correct Radu_Andrei, these expressions are often used as a bit of fun and in jest, or the opposite meaning of what the dictionary says they mean.

People down here in Austraya speak a language that is vaguely similar to English, so something like "you bastard!" is NOT actually derogatory, because we often insult people as a term of endearment.
    Last edited by AndyGuid; 19-09-2018 at 01:49 AM.

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread Information