. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all,

I have a Denford Orac which is using Mach3 to operate.
    Yesterday, both PKS Digiplan SD/3 stepper drivers gave up the ghost (machine hadn't been switched on for a while previously)
    I had one spare drive, which I fitted, and it works, but i have no more, and they seem hard to find nowadays.
    I am hoping to be able to fit a newer, more readily available drive in it's place, but have a couple of questions, if you don't mind?
    I have identified the wires to the SD/3 drive, and know the stepper coils, step, direction and 24VDC connections to it.
    But.... there are 4 black wires, coming from a Toroidal Transformer. The transformer has AC voltages of 27 0 27 and 19 0 19VAC, giving taps of 55V and 38V too.
    Could anybody please recommend a drive which could deal with this setup?

For info, the steppers are MAE, HY-200-3424-310-A8, which i believe have phase current of 3.1A.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Paul

Link to SD3 manual for those interested

Looks like a fun power setup - haven't seen that before.

Does that PSU power anything else? Might be worth replacing it whilst you're at it with some AC input drives and an appropriate torroidal.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Day Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Are they rack mount drivers?

If they are, I think I've still got a rack from my Triac kicking around.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Hi, Yes they are rack mount. I think the triac has two sd/2 drivers and one sd/3. Would you sell them if you do? Thanks Paul

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Day Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    You were right, two 2's and a 3.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191126_190603.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	26793

I have got no idea if they still work or not.

Hi m_c that board is an SD13, it's different to the sd3, and I guess not interchangeable 😞

I would have thought drivers would be interchangeable to some extent.

I may still have the rack out my Cyclone, which is an older machine than my Triac, however I've not seen the box it was in for quite some time. I'll have a rummage when I get home tomorrow.

Thankyou, much appreciated.

If it helps, I have 3 Digiplan PK2 drivers and 1 PK3. I do not know whether they are just packaged versions of the SD. They have an integral power supply and basically only need step, direction and motor connectors (apart from 240VAC input). If they are of use, then we can arrange something.

Cheers,

Rob-T

To be honest, I'm not sure if they are interchangeable or not. I've got the machine going now using a spare sd/2, which has taken the heat off. I have 4 other spare boards, all of which appear to be broken so I've sent them away for repair. Hopefully they will fix, if not I'll be looking for retrofit options. Thanks Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information