. .
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    The water in the pipe is only to drain down and wet the soil at a depth to make a better contact, so it doesn't matter if the pipe cracks with frost (which is unlikely if open at the top). If your soil is very wet normally, then it is probably an overkill. Copper pipe is as good, maybe better than a plated steel rod.
    Last edited by cropwell; 15-08-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 39 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Now about the g code, putting g1 x100 f300 into mdi, moves the axis 50 cm.
    All ballscrews are 5mm pitch, and the toothed pulleys on the Z are at a ratio of 2:1, 20 teeth for the stepper and 40 for the screw, so I.m sure I.ll have to mention this somewhere in mach3.
    Ok I found this for you:-

In Mach3, go to the Settings Tab, and select "Set Steps Per Unit". It will ask you how far to move the machine. Before you do this, make a mark on the table exactly where the end mill is resting. You can do this by lowering the end mill until it touches the material, then spinning it by hand to cut a small dimple in the material. Then, raise the end mill to clear the material, and assign a distance to move the machine. Once the machine moves and stops, measure the exact distance that it actually traveled with a tape measure, and enter this value into the dialog box that asks how far it moved. Mach3 will automatically adjust your steps per unit for that axis to be more accurate. Do this for all axes often to ensure you are cutting accurately. The longer distances you use calibrate, and the more precise you are with your measurements, the better.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Taking on your advice, and speaking to an electrician, a retired one in this case, he said they use to drive 3 spikes into the ground, a few meters apart, and weld a connection between them, so that the earth might match the live, and have a specific ohm readings, so that the fuse will work properly. He used to practice he.s craft many years ago, so not sure if his knowledge it.s still valid with this new fuses.
    Also said that the large metal structure from the photo has a very solid grounding structure going on, so I might use this. That is a high voltage system, and I.m not sure if it goes well with 220v systems.
    That.s the best I could find today, as we have a holiday going on, but will check with the up to date electrician as well.
    Will fix this earthing problem asap.

Meanwhile, I,ll do some research about this gearing inputs I need to make.

Thank you.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 39 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Meanwhile just knock a copper tube in and connect to you mains earth. It has to be better that getting small electric shocks
    ..Clive

In settings tab, I typed I want to move it 50, and it did move 150, and mach 3 set it to 160 steps. Now in mdi tab, I typed g1 x100 f300, it moved 100mm but very very slow.
    The driver setting is at 800.

I did try g1 x100 f2000 but still slow, so I honestly have no clue what this means, if it.s just the the speed used in this setup, or the speed of the machine, or anything else. As I said, I need to study some basic things about this, so I would guess it.s easier if you.d guide me towards some reading material rather than test your patience, which was already strained since I started this topic.

P.s. John mentioned the spike. Rob clarified the water filling method.
    My mistake. Sorry.

In settings tab, I typed I want to move it 50, and it did move 150, and mach 3 set it to 160 steps. Now in mdi tab, I typed g1 x100 f300, it moved 100mm but very very slow.
    The driver setting is at 800.
    Ok so now you have it moving the correct amount on the X axis.. Now change the driver steps to 1600 and do the same test re calibration. Also tell us what you have set the settings for on the motor tuning page Mach3

Just test with one axis first

re the spike, it is the same as earth rod . Re the water it was just to wet the ground around the rod to lower the resistance of the earth.

Don't worry about the questions, we have all been there at some point.

edit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3fu...M7iZbmHUxO7K-u
    Last edited by Clive S; 15-08-2018 at 02:57 PM.
    ..Clive

ok. i cut the power to the drivers, and changed to 1600 (on, off, on, on), and tried again, and now it moved half the distance, example move 50, and it did 25, and mach 3 set it to 320. typing in mdi the same thing, it moves the right distance typed in but somewhat faster.

in motor turning, the "steps per" is set by this test, velocity 600 mm per minute, acceleration 50, G's 0.0050988, step pulse, dir pulse both to 0

Quote Originally Posted by Radu_Andrei View Post
    ok. i cut the power to the drivers, and changed to 1600 (on, off, on, on), and tried again, and now it moved half the distance, example move 50, and it did 25, and mach 3 set it to 320. typing in mdi the same thing, it moves the right distance typed in but somewhat faster.

in motor turning, the "steps per" is set by this test, velocity 600 mm per minute, acceleration 50, G's 0.0050988, step pulse, dir pulse both to 0
    Ok you are now moving the correct amount. You now have to alter the vel. 600mm is slow try 1200mm then 2400mm . You have to ajust the vel. and accc. for your specific machine.

The vel. is the max the machine can do. Ie if you set the feed rate with your settings (600mm) it will be clamped to that. So if you say f2000 it can't go any faster than 600

Did you watch the vid?
    ..Clive

I did watch the video. I.ve seen it a month ago when I first installed mach 3, but did it again to see what I.ve missed.
    I attributed the frame shake related to a gantry hard stop, with a sign that I.ve reached the speed limit on the machine, on the Y axis for example.
    If it could accelerate and decelerates slower while running a g code, it could travel quite faster, but I don.t know if it.s possible. And honestly it.s not a requierment for me, as I.m not into large quantity production, but rather in custom or special products approach. For example, the first projects that I need are plexiglas stencils used to decorate some furniture with a traditional motif.

There is a guy called Roger Webb on youtube which does some decorative wood projects, and the cutting time for a 50 by 50 cm sculpture ranges between 2 to 4 hours in 2 cuts. I.m aiming for that, and I don.t think that is a high expectation but do correct me of I.m wrong.

I.ll test some speeds, but what am I looking for? How else can I know the max the machine can do?

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information