Quote Originally Posted by JonnyFive View Post
Jazz - do you have a feel for how much things have increased overall? Has everything doubled? Just trying to estimate how much extra I need to find.
Oh Yes, I certainly have a feel for it, every month I feel like I've been Butt F^@£ by one supplier or another. Steel has indeed doubled at least and Aluminium tripled for some grades.

This isn't just in the UK either, Even China and Asia are struggling with the rising material cost's. I have never had a Chinese or Taiwanese suppliers apologise because they are increasing prices and in the last 3 weeks I've had 4 suppliers all say the same thing.

On top of this, the cost of shipping has gone crazy, container prices used to be around £2000, now they are anywhere between £10,000 to £12,000 and taking longer to arrive IF you can get them on a ship.!

Airfreight you need to sell a kidney if it weighs more than a mouse. I've just paid £560 to fly 2 ATC Spindles over that would have cost £120 before Covid started, Why when planes are sat on the ground with no passengers.?

I used to fly most of my stuff over a few machines worth at a time, Now I'm shipping by sea freight 20 or 30 machines worth at a time and motors etc by the 100's just so I can keep continuity and be sure prices are kept sensible. The downside being I'm weeks and months behind waiting for stuff to arrive and I'm paying more for the privilege.!

It's the same with Steel and aluminium, I used to buy steel box section 5 or 6 lengths at a time, enough for a couple of machines. Now the only way I can get sensible prices is to buy 30 lengths. Sheet steel is even worse, I'm paying the same now for 3mm as I paid for 10mm 6 months ago.

I would allow at least 40% extra to what you probably think was going to cost.
If you are serious about building then I wouldn't wait for prices to come down either because I don't think it's going to happen any time soon and it's still going up with no sign of coming down.