. .

Thread: Resin vs grout

Hi all

Just delving into my first day cnc, I've been reading about using resin to level out fabricated beds/frames.

Seeing as I'll be making my frame out of welded steel construction I'm aware I might get some twisting.

I was wondering if anyone has used a self levelling grout instead of resin, I use this product quite a lot at work but usually to encapsulate bearings and housings, it does flow well here's the data sheet

http://www.fivestarproducts.com/file...1486756928.pdf

Just a thought as I can get this easily from work ?

Martin

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    METHODS OF PLACEMENT: Five StarŪ Grout may be dry packed, poured or pumped into place. Minimum placement thickness for Five StarŪ Grout is 1 inch (25 mm). For pours over 6 inches (150 mm) in depth Five StarŪ Grout should be extended with a clean, damp coarse aggregate meeting the requirements of ASTM C 33. Refer to Five Star Products’ Technical Bulletin “Cement Grout Aggregate
    Extension” for guidelines. For more detailed placement procedures, go to FiveStarProducts.com and select Design-A-Spec™ in product
    downloadsA
    When epoxy is used it is usually set at about 5mm thick and with about a 5-8 hour settle time so it has a long time to self level. With the West System.

Looking at the spec above it appears to say it requires a min. of 25mm depth and you add water I would be wary of the shrinkage
    Last edited by Clive S; 23-06-2018 at 09:18 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hi

It is shrinkage compensated, we use it for levelling machines and structures and certain bearings, it's used in a slightly different way, we install and level using jacking bolts, once level a box is built around each foot/ mount which is above floor level, the grout is then poured into the form work until it rises to just above the underside of the mount and left to set, works in that application

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjabika View Post
    Hi

It is shrinkage compensated, we use it for levelling machines and structures and certain bearings, it's used in a slightly different way, we install and level using jacking bolts, once level a box is built around each foot/ mount which is above floor level, the grout is then poured into the form work until it rises to just above the underside of the mount and left to set, works in that application
    Yes I agree with that but you are levelling the machine first and then applying the grout to the void.

With epoxy you put a moat around the box section frame with a bridge between to two rails and pour the epoxy and then let it self level in order to get both rails on the same plane.

But it would be interesting for you to try it for the benefit of others
    Last edited by Clive S; 23-06-2018 at 11:29 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thread Information