. .
    Can I temporarily use a BT30 (or iso30) toolholder in an R8 spindle? (with suitable draw bar)

I need to get a few quick jobs done with the mill (warco WM18) before I look to fully install an ATC. i need repeatable Z but I don't want to invest in any more R8 bits or parallel shank ER collects as I will probably go with a Bt 30 setup.

I know the tappers and the start diameter are the same and Im only using small 5mm cutters in Ali and side cutting Stainless.

Open to other options. cheers

Ummmmm no! Is the simple answer. It's a very risky and silly thing to consider. Not to mention the danger. Machine tools take no prisoners.

If the taper fits and the tool holder can seat fully there is no risk in light cuts.
    Marker pen as blue on the holder, shove it in and twiddle and that will clearly show if the contact area is good.
    Regards,
    Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Mixed answers! I will proceed with caution. cheers

Ross, I need to eat a bit of humble pie in a way. I have both tapers at my works and tested your idea. Much to my surprise the actual taper appears to be the same and the and it fits in a R8, and sits pretty well with not a lot of overhang. There is a slight problem with the top part of the taper sitting in mid air, this does give a small amount of play which will mean run-out to some degree. A R8 collet has a parallel section at the top which is a fit in the spindle and ensure the taper is sitting correctly. So this is the part you need to be wary of. I still wont suggest you do it as its not perfect and obviously its not designed to be used this way, but at least you have the pros and cons now.

I understand you don't want to spend money on new gear with only a little work to do but R8 cheapo spring collet (which are perfectly adequate by the way for general work) are very cheap and always preferred over an er collect system for rigidity. worth a thought as they don't cost much at all these days.

All the best

6. The Following User Says Thank You to spluppit For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spluppit View Post
    Ross, I need to eat a bit of humble pie in a way. I have both tapers at my works and tested your idea. Much to my surprise the actual taper appears to be the same and the and it fits in a R8, and sits pretty well with not a lot of overhang. There is a slight problem with the top part of the taper sitting in mid air, this does give a small amount of play which will mean run-out to some degree. A R8 collet has a parallel section at the top which is a fit in the spindle and ensure the taper is sitting correctly. So this is the part you need to be wary of. I still wont suggest you do it as its not perfect and obviously its not designed to be used this way, but at least you have the pros and cons now.

I understand you don't want to spend money on new gear with only a little work to do but R8 cheapo spring collet (which are perfectly adequate by the way for general work) are very cheap and always preferred over an er collect system for rigidity. worth a thought as they don't cost much at all these days.

All the best
    Thanks for taking the time to check, thats perfect and i was hoping someone would be able to check.

i guess that I might be able to sleeve the top section and try to support the very top section of the taper.

Its not so much the cost of the R8's thats the problem but the non repeatable z for the tool that it is clamping. Maybe I just need to learn to touch off more accurately or get a sensor.

iso or Bt 30 obviously win for ATC. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by spluppit View Post
    There is a slight problem with the top part of the taper sitting in mid air, this does give a small amount of play which will mean run-out to some degree.
    That made me smile ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Thread Information