. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I really need help befor I go crazy . iv been working on this solid for a week and cant find what the problem is .

I have this bob https://www.amazon.co.uk/XCSOURCE-In...breakout+board
    and I cang get the steppers working on it.
    here is what i have or know at the moment. The computer im using was used on another cnc machine i owned about 4 months ago. so im sure the parallel port is working. but still i have followed a parallel port checking video. On pin 2 through to pin 7 i get 3.7vdc when i jog left then 0vdc when i jog right. up and down and side to side correspond accordingly to the voltage i get on each pin on the parallel port giving 3.7v output

i have connected the bob to the parallel port with the pp cable and im supplying 5v to the bob using a usb cable

when i jog left i can read 3.7vdc input from the computer to the bob but the output of the bob stays at 5.1v dc,when i jog right i can read a change to 0vdc imput from the computer to the bob but there is no change in the output it stays at 5.1vdc

the output on the dod never changes it stays at 5.1vcd . in fact i think all the out put pins may have 5.1 v dc on the all the time . This is the second BoB i have tried as the same thing was happening on the other one, So i guessing its not the bob

i have disconnected everything now and have just one motor and one driver connected. just the basic set up but its still the same. its almost like the bob has to be turned on to initialise the output side of the board..

I really don't know what to do next . if any one could help I would be so gratful

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    How exactly have you wired the drives to the bob.

Have you connected 5v to the bob
    Last edited by Clive S; 11-07-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

im running the 5v needed to power it from the usb port as every one iv talked to say that's how they run it. so im not sure if the 2 end pins need connecting as its getting its 5v from the usb. from my understanding pin14 is en- and en+ goes to 5v on the end . only from what iv seen on other videos. so this is how I have it. some one has told me I don't need to wire in the en- for now just for testing but I have tried it both ways and it still the same. To be honest im going round and round in circles with this now

none of the videos I watch show the 2 end pins connected .

I am grateful for the input though as it really is stressing me just now

Quote Originally Posted by amxen View Post
    none of the videos I watch show the 2 end pins connected .

I am grateful for the input though as it really is stressing me just now
    What do you mean by "end" pins?

You should make a simple drawing showing your connections. I have two similar BOBs and they work flawless since several years. You should also check the voltage (logic levels) on the inputs of the BOB. When you change direction the DIR signal should change polarity from high to low or low to high. If that does not happen no direction change will take place. Also, eStop must be configured right, as well as the limit switches. You should also know that just because something worked before does not meat it works today as well...

It is also not a good idea to use the USB cable as power supply for the BOB, even if everyone you talked to does it. Again, just because it works for them, it does not mean it works for you. Not all USB are created the same, and by definition USB can supply maximum 500mA, which normally should be enough for your BOB, but if something is wrong with your PC then you may not get the needed current, or maybe THAT specific USB is not able for it. Anyway, external 5V supply is better.

Is it Mach3 you are using? Are you sure nothing wrong with the configuration of ports and pins?
    Last edited by A_Camera; 11-07-2018 at 11:58 AM.

I’m no expert but I have never connected the enable pins to anything as my understanding is that giving them 5V tells the driver to halt (reverse of what you migh expect).
    If this is the case then remove the 5V cable to en+ and any cable on en-
    Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can confirm this
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36926068_10156054930601919_8050798793420963840_n.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	24521
    I don't have any limit switches or e stops attached at the moment . I have taken it all apart to try and work out what is going on . all I have is 1 driver 1 stepper the powersuply and the bob. I get 3.7v on the input side of the bob on pins 2 when I jog left I get 0v on pin 2 when I jog right . but all the output pins read 5.1v dc . nothing changes on any of the out put pins . if I connect the stepper there is no movement. I can feel it get hard to move and a small buzzing but no movement when I jog.

im going to do a video when I get home

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by amxen View Post
    im running the 5v needed to power it from the usb port as every one iv talked to say that's how they run it. so im not sure if the 2 end pins need connecting as its getting its 5v from the usb. from my understanding pin14 is en- and en+ goes to 5v on the end . only from what iv seen on other videos. so this is how I have it. some one has told me I don't need to wire in the en- for now just for testing but I have tried it both ways and it still the same. To be honest im going round and round in circles with this now
    You should not need anything connected to the enable pin on the bob. Can you draw a simple sketch to show exactly how you have connected the drive to the bob.. I have used many of these bobs and they work fine
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    You should not need anything connected to the enable pin on the bob. Can you draw a simple sketch to show exactly how you have connected the drive to the bob.. I have used many of these bobs and they work fine
    as soon as I get home ill draw something . but im sure its correct but yes I can do that . I think I read some where that it may be that the input from the parallel port is only 3.7v dc saying it need to be 4.5v dc to activate something on the bob . Now im really clutching at straws but any hope is hope just now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information