. .
    Hi everyone, I just want to share my progress in rebuilding the infamous 2418 kit I bought for Christmas, it was a great way to learn the basics but for the machine is a joke really, can barely engrave soft materials. So I decided to rebuild it keeping the same dimensions and structure.

At the moment the top part (gantry) is pretty much done, I used 2080 extrusions for side pillars and 4060 for rail supports. The carriage and Z are a contraption of aluminum angle profiles and sheets, heavily inspired by Jeremy Schmidt's design (you can look it up on YouTube). Rails are sbr12, leadscrews 8mm with axial supports.
    Spindle is 250w brushless for the moment, but the structure allows an easy upgrade to 65mm water-cooled spindle in the future.

It all turned out way more rigid than I anticipated, now the question remains how to construct a new bottom frame (to get rid of plywood base) and join them reliably. I was thinking of using a bunch of 2040 profiles with angle reinforcements, any suggestions? The table will move on sbr12 rails and will most likely use 15180 profiles for working surface, total working area planned 230x300mm

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Hi everyone, update on the progress, the mechanical part is pretty much done for the first iteration (still not happy with gantry bracing - can't have too much of it anyway), initial tests seem positive.
    The one thing I did that I've never seen implemented is the antibacklash leadscrew support. At first I tried compressing the thrust bearing with collars but quickly found out that it's very difficult to preload them axially without an actual nut so a fairly stiff spring solves this problem nicely. The drawback is that it resonates like hell - some dampening is definitely required.
    Any comments or suggestions appreciated

It's alive! First part made from aluminum - replacement leadscrew support with bearing pocket. Managed to get it right within 0.01mm.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    It's alive! First part made from aluminum - replacement leadscrew support with bearing pocket. Managed to get it right within 0.01mm.
    Always nice to see a machine come to life. Now how about a vid?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thread Information