. .
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Haven't tried it yet:

https://m.phys.org/news/2018-07-meta...e-science.html

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I just love America and youtube and the awful influence they have on people.... there is not material property known as 'gummy' its ductility which can also be combined with a few other properties like Plasticity. I wish these morons would go back to school and learn some engineering basics before they post these garbage terms that mean nothing. These are basics you learn in the first months of being in the trade, so what were these guys doing? Wonders.......

No offense meant to you guys here that use that term because you have only got it from youtube or others who have got it from youtube via people that have no physical materials knowledge it appears.

I wont be trying the technique all the same.

Same as the word 'tram' that's thrown about all over the place thanks to America and youtube. How does the word tram relating to squaring a head? Thats why we call it 'clocking the head' or 'squaring the head'..... because that makes actual sense... I just hate to see my trade watered down with wrong terminology arghhhhhh!
    Last edited by spluppit; 19-07-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Heh, blimey. Someone's ready for the weekend..!

Yeah, it's a weird article - I've not had issues with 'gummy' aluminium since I've started using decent, or rather, suitable for machining grades. That's probably a better production strategy than dashing about with a sharpie...

Tram may come from trammel - restrict from freedom..? Dunno..

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I thought that was quite a reasonable article explaining things in pretty simple terms, and they do clarify what they mean by gummy at the start.

It would of been nice if they'd shown another cross-section photo with the actual effect the extra coating makes, rather than just the soft and hard materials.

Tram is short for trammel, but it's more an American term, although I'm pretty sure I've got British engineering books from the 60s/70s that use the term Tram. It's certainly not a youtube thing, and usage is likely to be vary on locality as well. Just like Teaps, which are only used in Scotland.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

I can't see how a magic marker coating would be any use after the first pass, but maybe it is truly 'magic'.

I always thought that 'in tram' meant all axis movement was at right angles x to y and y to z. Maybe 'tram' is an acronym for True Right Angle Motion

If it does actually work... it would be something you'd just do on a finishing pass. Could actually be quite handy for boring, I'm going to try it :)

Thread Information