. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It would probably be easier, and far more reliable, to just buy a new spindle from Denford.

IIRC they're still using the same spindle in their new machines, so it would just be a case of swapping the main spindle, along with any other bits that differ. Then of course you have the problem of converting the ATC.
    I'm sure a post on the denford forum would give a definitive answer.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    It would probably be easier, and far more reliable, to just buy a new spindle from Denford.

IIRC they're still using the same spindle in their new machines, so it would just be a case of swapping the main spindle, along with any other bits that differ. Then of course you have the problem of converting the ATC.
    I'm sure a post on the denford forum would give a definitive answer.
    I have a full cad design to turn a standard 6 station ATC disk into an 8 or 10 station disk

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    I have a full cad design to turn a standard 6 station ATC disk into an 8 or 10 station disk
    Isn't the 8 tool disc CAD available on the denford forum?
    It's certainly not as big a problem as the spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Isn't the 8 tool disc CAD available on the denford forum?
    It's certainly not as big a problem as the spindle.
    No idea, but this is my own design. So it uses a stepper motor to speed up tool changes

5. to be fair- the old geneva wheel is a bit slow! i dont think it was designed as a production machine. i had a hell of a job getting the coding right to get it to stop exactly where i wanted it- especially if reversing direction. - but im one that wont let challenges beat me.
    was very tempted to change it to servo driven. ( i dont use steppers for anything any more ) . - maybe in the future but seems i have the coding accurate enough . i havnt had a position loss in last month of testing.
    re tooling - i think ive found some that -while expensive is going to be worth buying. everything has collets ive never heard of. - but researching more before i part with more money. the machine doesnt stand me much money so far- so il probably just buy them.
    i only have one product i want to mass produce (haha for me- thats about 10 a week)

I think a servo would be overkill for a toolchanger!
    Small stepper and driver would be far cheaper, and just as effective, as you don't need high acceleration or speed, unless you want to spend your life putting the tools back in the disc...

The mishmash of collets I seem to be gathering is what will probably push me to either buying a batch of BT35 ER toolholders, or swapping the spindle. When I need to swap tools, I seem to spend longer hunting down collets, or having to swap tools around to toolholder/collet combinations that will work for what I'm trying to do.
    I seem to be managing fine just now, but I've not been using my Triac that much. I do have some new products on the sketchpad though, which are going to require a re-think of tooling, as I don't want to lose time having to swap tools between holders.

BT35 to 30 conversion thread created over on the Denford forum - http://www.denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=5578

Looks like only three parts are different, but I'd probably renew everything internal to the spindle. It will also likely need new taper bearings, as I doubt they'll come off the old spindle without damaging them.

8. cool- il take a look.
    re servos- not a problem here. i service and repair mitsubishi servos. hundreds in stock from 50 watt to 5kw sizes
    also stocking allen bradley drives etc for those that need something with every function known to man! ( used on the triac to run the original fanuc red cap motors.)

9. seen these? look good for a new build
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ATC-...ddresstype=600

Quote Originally Posted by battwell View Post
    seen these? look good for a new build
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ATC-...ddresstype=600
    Yeah.
    I think you could machine a Triac head to accept one, but mounting the motor could be a challenge, and you'd add a fair bit of weight, which I don't think would do the dovetails much good long term.
    If I was scratch building a machine, one of those, or something very similar would be top of the list.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information