. .
    Hi guys, I searched the forum but couldn't find if it had been answered.

As I am really limited on space and trying to maximise the surface area as best as I can

I am debating the following for a machine 1100 x 800mm approx:

1) 60x60x4mm steel box with motors on outside + as bulk buying steel gantry would be also made of 60x60x4 and 180mm in height

2) 80x80x3mm steel with motors inside + as bulk buying steel gantry would be made also of 80x80x3 and 160mm or possiblely 240mm in height

Any possible pros or cons ?

Any advice is appreciated

Mike
    Last edited by Hulksmash; 27-07-2018 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Spelling

Hi Mike
    It has been asked before over the years but I can’t honestly remember seeing a finished machine with that feature so it is difficult to say if it will get hot. Maybe someone else has.

The mounting face of the stepper will be bolted to a metal plate which will dissipate some heat.
    To help the main body stay cool you could drill a large hole in the top and bottom surface of the section biased towards the rear end of the stepper to promote an updraft.
    The motors run warm / slightly hot to the touch if they are being worked but that is in the open. Not trying to scare you but there is a temperature over which the stepper magnets break down. From memory I think it is 150deg? But if it is inside the box you won’t know.

So for small jobs I think it would be OK ( don’t hold me to it!) but an 8 hour run . . .
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Many thanks routercnc.. heat was something I had not even considered.

Mike

as the motor current is set by the stepper driver and does not change with the mechanical load

from various data sheets I have looked at motors are designed normally run at 70 C to 80 C

I would expect the motor to heat up to a maximum value in the first hour or two assuming there is no current reduction when the axis is idle

In the confined space inside a 80mm square tube
    with only a 7 or 8 mm gap around the motor
    I would consider using a fan to force air past the motor

how are you going to mount the motor inside of the tube so you can adjust its alignment with the ball screw ?

John

PS
    I have no idea of how much effect it will have but
    having the motor enclosed in a metal tube could change the amount of heating of the motor due to changes in the eddy currents in the motor and possibly eddy current heating of the tube
    Last edited by john swift; 27-07-2018 at 11:52 AM.

The risk of the motors overheating and the actual time and effort I would need to make it so I would be happy with the build is not worth it - many thanks guys - I think there is a reason its not been done before ..

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 53 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulksmash View Post
    The risk of the motors overheating and the actual time and effort I would need to make it so I would be happy with the build is not worth it - many thanks guys - I think there is a reason its not been done before ..
    I see you are Salford If you want to see my machine you are welcome I am in Marple Nr. Stockport It might give you some ideas. It is 1600x1000 overall size.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thanks alot Clive thats really appreciated. I actually live in a place called astley but no-one has ever heard of it so its easier to put the closest place...salford.

I will definatley arrange to visit once I'm sorted. Your a really handy person to have close 😁

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 53 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Thanks alot Clive thats really appreciated. I actually live in a place called astley but no-one has ever heard of it so its easier to put the closest place...salford.

I will definatley arrange to visit once I'm sorted. Your a really handy person to have close 😁
    If I remember there used to be a good Chinese there not too far from the church PM me if you want to pop over.
    ..Clive

You thinking of the Tung Fong in Worsley... the outside looks Tudor looking... white and black.

You thinking of the Tung Fong in Worsley... the outside looks Tudor looking... white and black.
    Yes that's the one.
    ..Clive

Thread Information