. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I purchased a 50 X 40 router engraver in the hope that I could start a hobby for my old age ( I am only 80 yet) I have failed and I hope some kind person will come to my rescue I will be happy to pay a fee to some one who will write G-code for a house name sign (SAN JOSE) about 16"X 6" with a groove on the perimeter also G-code for the attached image about 12" X 6"
    I will be really pleased if these can be done for me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eamonn6.png 
Views:	271 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	24584  

Someone will recommend free CAD/CAM shortly, I can't as I spent money for commercial use, a perpetual license and no one changing anything without telling me (Fusion360).
    I'm afraid I can't do this for you as I have too much paid work queued to take time out and do stuff for less than shop rate for several months,
    Regards,
    Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Someone will recommend free CAD/CAM shortly, I can't as I spent money for commercial use, a perpetual license and no one changing anything without telling me (Fusion360).
    I'm afraid I can't do this for you as I have too much paid work queued to take time out and do stuff for less than shop rate for several months,
    Regards,
    Nick

Thank you for your reply, If you can devote the time soon please let me know the cost of writing the G-code so that I will know how much to send you Farranwilliam.

Hi,

Inkscape is free, but I find it shit for creating dxf files. There is Draftsight for nowt, Libre Office have a CAD program. To get to Gcode you will need something like CAMBAM or G-Simple, but I have never used these, I use Estlcam, which is fairly cheap.

With your image, you will need to trace it with Inkscape to get to vectors so you can create a file for further processing. If I were not unwell (hot weather and whisky ) I would be happier to help you.

The Sign you want doing is the easiest, but what font and what DOC's. I'll PM you soon.

Cheers,

Rob

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Hmm,

I'd hesitate to send you any code as what my software generates is very unlikely to work on your engraver (without me knowing exactly what post processor you use, where you're zeroing off etc. etc. - it's a bit of a minefield, best not go there!)

What I will say, though - is that the image you uploaded is far from ideal in terms of getting enough information from it in order to generate an engraving that's going to look any good...

This is likely to be a hiding to nothing, but I've poked it around a bit and improved the contrast for you so now it looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eamonn6.png 
Views:	199 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	24601

It's still not great, but the attached .pdf (look for it at the bottom of this post) now contains the vector (or line) information that your software should recognise and be able to use to tell the machine what it is that needs to be cut...

Wal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eamonn6.pdf  

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    I'd hesitate to send you any code as what my software generates is very unlikely to work on your engraver (without me knowing exactly what post processor you use, where you're zeroing off etc. etc. - it's a bit of a minefield, best not go there!)
    Hi Wal, OP seems to use Mach3 set up in metric. I have sent him some code to play with, just to prompt up the problems. So far it looks as though he has hit the 500 lines demo limit, so if he wants to continue, he will need a licence. At least now he has some code to carve a sign for his house, and if it doesn't work we will have a chat by phone or email to get him pointed in the right direction. That way we can get the dross of the problems sorted before reporting back to the forum.

When we have the machine set up, I can send him the face on Gcode. Thanks for doing that, it look great and it saved me a bit of trouble farting about with Inkscape Trace.

Cheers, Rob

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    No probs, Rob - glad to help.

I do a fair bit of tracing in Photoshop/Illustrator and have a couple of approaches that save me from too much farting about..!

Wal.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Thank you Wal, The improved image looks great and I hope to use it asap Joe

HI Wal and Rob,
    I understand that the soulution to my problem is to purchase software such as Mach3 .
    Or would you suggest a different package ? and if so which one ? Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information