. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi everyone,

I recently had a problem with my cnc. I tried several things without success, I need your help.
    The connection between earth and a damaged wire from the spindle created a short circuit. There was no smoke, the circuit breaker trips. I replaced the damaged wire and now I have the error A.oL and then E.oA.A. when I try to start the vfd.

My setup is: 220v, 800w, 5A, 400HZ, water cooled spindle with a Huanyang VFD 1.5kw. The cable between vfd and spindle is 4 core 16awg shielded.

The spindle seems to be ok. The resistance is 4.2Ohm between each pins (U,V,W not the earth).

Visually the VFD is ok. When I run it witout the cable attached to the spindle there is no error. I tried also to reset settings and apply it again. My setting is:
    PD000=0
    PD001=0
    PD002=1
    PD003=400
    PD004=400
    PD005=400
    PD008=220
    PD141=220
    PD142=5
    PD143=4
    PD144=3000

Do you have any advice to determine the problem please?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sorry to say but often with these if you have E.### errors it's toasted and nothing can be done for it.
    I've fitted lots of these and only had 4 failures but 2 of them failed with similair errors and both where dead.

Thanks for your reply :)

Is there a way to check that the problem is the VFD and not the motor. If I order a new one I would like to be sure that this is the VFD the problem.
    Do you had a lot of Huanyang VFD? Are they good in general? Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by BriceO View Post
    Thanks for your reply :)

Is there a way to check that the problem is the VFD and not the motor. If I order a new one I would like to be sure that this is the VFD the problem.
    Do you had a lot of Huanyang VFD? Are they good in general? Thanks for your help.
    Very much doubt it's the Spindle they are simple devices. About only useful test you can do is continuity test and check windings haven't shorted to body.

The VFD's are ok for the money and do the job when working but wouldn't say they are Good quality. If you can't return and nothing inside is obviously damaged so can be repaired then much better replacing with higher quality unit.

Thanks, so the spindle should be ok.

I really doubt that I can return it as the seller doesn't reply my messages. But I just checked the VFD and found a transistor exploded.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20170122-WA0006.jpg 
Views:	607 
Size:	257.7 KB 
ID:	20429
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170122_144200.jpg 
Views:	903 
Size:	355.6 KB 
ID:	20430
    This is the model number: kdg15n120h ( documentation)
    What do you think ? Is there a chance to save the VFD by replacing this transistor?

Thanks for your help.

You could try replacing the bit, they are cheap enough ($25 for 10 from China), but don't be surprised if the damage goes back a little deeper than that one component. For the cost of the bits, it is worth a punt. Check your circuit board tracks haven't been fried as well !
    Last edited by cropwell; 22-01-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Of course you've blown it up at exactly the wrong time - about the start of the Chinese new year and the black-hole of all internet orders. I can't see a UK supplier but it might be worth looking up an equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    I can't see a UK supplier but it might be worth looking up an equivalent.
    He's in Toblerone land so UK supplier won't do him much good anyway.! . . . . I'd have small wager this will come back to life with that part replaced and I'm sure there be supplier in Swizyland.!! . . . . If pays my Air fare and Lift pass I'll take him my spare and go boarding while at it. .

Post some part numbers for similar ones you can get locally and I will comment on if they are likely to be suitable. You should use the multi-meter on diode and resistance test to poke around for damaged parts. Does the VFD display an error with the IGBT now removed?
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Thanks for your answers!
    @JAZZCNC maybe if you take some English ales with you ;)

I just begin to check the circuit. By now, tracks are surprisingly good, but there is some strange connections... I will continue to test the circuit.

I checked the part in china but you're right it will be difficult to replace it with the same model.
    It would be awesome if you could advice me :)

A good shop in Switzerland is Distrelec. I've searched for some replacement parts (http://www.distrelec.ch/search?q=iGB...=4&pageSize=10) and I think about this one maybe: http://www.distrelec.ch/fr/igbt-to-2...=50&simi=97.47

Should I replace all IGBT or only the broken one ?

Thanks you, all for your help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information