. .
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Oh Shit all these years I've been doing it wrong.!!! . . . . Silly me why be worried about tool life or finish quality just wap it up to full chat and let it go.!!
    We going there again?

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Nick, before this descends into a shitfest, take whatever info you think is appropriate and see what works for yourself and your setup. Clearly some of us have different experiences and outcomes. Id prefer not for this thread to be ruined too.

The response could have been different but it wasnt. So will leave it at that. Feel free to call me if you want, you have my number.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    We going there again?
    Nope.!! . . .but your talking shite again so it's very tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Nope.!! . . .but your talking shite again so it's very tempting.
    OK cool - I like the 'again' part. There was no shit in our previous coming together, not from my side, only the truth. I stopped - could have provided a lot more detail to question some of your responses but I thought better of it.

You just love confrontation and drama, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    OK cool - I like the 'again' part. There was no shit in our previous coming together, not from my side, only the truth. I stopped - could have provided a lot more detail to question some of your responses but I thought better of it.

You just love confrontation and drama, don't you?
    Ye whatever.!

Lives in East Yorkshire, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 06-01-2021 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 26. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Thank you both for the advice. I have had a lot more success. I bought an array of end mills from shop apt. I have also been using single flute end mills that I saw used on a Datron machine, these seem to work quite well, there is a bit of chatter and they make funny sounds on ramping. I've even tried filming this.

https://youtu.be/wAAnl7nuGu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozca...ature=youtu.be

I have noticed that my setup isn't as rigid as I thought, there is nearly negligible backlash if I move the table with no force but if I apply some force to the table I can move it about 0.05mm in x and y direction, I can get it to almost 0.1 if I really lean. I'm not sure where this is coming from, I think it might be the ballscrews / x-axis belt, i'm not sure how to isolate this? I know a lot of people were having issues with the ball screw BK12 mount bearings.

I have ordered some metal for the enclosure, I was going to try and bend sheet metal, but I've abandoned this idea and I am going to weld a frame and then bolt/weld sheet metal onto it. Not sure what to do about the doors yet, any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ENC1.PNG 
Views:	251 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	28064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pan.PNG 
Views:	161 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	28065

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    there is a bit of chatter and they make funny sounds on ramping. I've even tried filming this.
    Is the "funny" sound you're hearing on ramp down for the pockets, that kind of crunchy gravel sound as the tool gets below a certain point? If so I'd wager that is the tool re-cutting chips which your air is not clearing out of the pocket. I've added a second air nozzle to my machine recently to try and combat some of this, as chips love to lie in the lee of pocket walls and hide from that airstream.

Hope that helps.

Chris
    Last edited by Washout; 06-05-2020 at 10:52 PM.

100% it's re-cutting chips when spiraling down, you need lots more air to blow them out.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Lives in East Yorkshire, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 06-01-2021 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 26. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Update:

Enclosure nearly done, the design I came up with was really stupid, it weighs loads and took forever. If I was to do it again I would used thicker sheet metal without a frame. Lots more work than I thought. I finally weighed the mill, comes out at about 700kg in total.

I changed the castors on the frame to support the weight and so I could level the frame, spent a lot of time deciding on these. Please ignore terrible welding.

Name:	20200607_185416.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	28318

Mill pan:

Name:	20200607_175928-pan.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	28317

Mill on:

Name:	20200607_184051.jpg 
Views:	683 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	28315

Sides on:

Name:	20200607_184931.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	28316

Next step is to put some polycarbonate windows in the sides and then finish painting, doors after...

Your welding is fine... it's your grinding that's awful :-)

Those FootMaster's are brilliant, have three sets holding up three big things (lathe, 2x mill bench and my welding bench). Aim-Tools are a pretty cheap source of them

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information