. .
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    For the next part of the Roland retrofit puzzle, I'm looking for some low current stepper drivers.

I had thought about some TB6xxx's given their low cost, but I'd like something with a bit more current adjustability, as I'm not sure what current I'll need, and the 0.5A jump in settings seem a bit high.

The original chips are TEA3718, which have a maximum current of 1.5A, but I'd guess are being pushed no where near that hard. Unfortunetly I can't seem to work out what current they're set to use, as the datasheet doesn't list any clear cut formula, and the final current is a result of motor feedback and resistors.

I've had a look at the 3D printer options, and although things like the Polulu and DRV8825 stuff ticks the boxes in terms of voltage/current adjustability, they're all DIP mount.

Any other cheap options to consider, or are some TB6600's and hoping 0.5A is good enough the most convenient option?
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Go for the DIP mount drivers and use a section of strip board?
    You can add your own screw terminals.
    Last edited by magicniner; 04-08-2018 at 05:40 PM.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I'm thinking that may be the best option, and the project may be creeping towards a custom PCB to mount everything neatly.

Unregulated 36V PSU bits, spindle power relay, and stepper drivers on one board with screw terminal headers would be nice and tidy..

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I'm thinking that may be the best option, and the project may be creeping towards a custom PCB to mount everything neatly.
    This any use ? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIP-Compo....c100677.m4598

Or this ? http://www.keyestudio.com/shop/shiel...shield-v3.html
    Last edited by cropwell; 05-08-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Those breakout boards are an option, but not something I'd normally use for a finished item.

I'm currently veering towards a custom PCB to mount the 3 stepper drivers, and the unregulated PSU bits (bridge rectifier + big capacitor), then use a DDCSV for control, which should result in a relatively compact control box that can be dragged out when needed.

Thread Information