I am re-designing a CNC Router I saw on the net, RHS Steel 65x35x3mm is the basic material , I have an 16mm offcut of Aluminium for the z axis mounting plate and the router plate . Linear Rails 20mm sq Solid with square sliding bearing blocks, Drive screws are 16mm SFU 1610 two step with antibacklash nuts. The Spindle is a 2.2 kw water cooled 20 Collet and with its bracket weighs just on 6 kg . X axis is 1000mm Y axis is 940 mm and Z axis rails are 325 mm.
X and Y gantry design I am fairly happy with but Z axis I have no idear at all what dementions at all regarding , distance between Y linear rails , and same for Z rails, the ally plate when laser cut will be 280mm wide so am wondering if that will be ok or should it be a bit less for the z axis mounting plate.
I saw somewhere that the router plate linear rail bearing blocks should be about half the length of the router plate apart , which should be kept as short as possible but retain desired travel. Am I anywhere near knowing anything about all this . will be very interested if someone can help me . Many thanks , Gordon WA