. .
    Hi.

I am a newbie in to the world of CNC, but have been dealing with self-build 3D printers for some time, so some concepts are similar.

I am trying to pick a milling machine as a base for future conversion to CNC. I am stuck between 3 machines, Sieg SX2.7, Warco WM16B, and WM18, but would like to discuss 2 of them here.
    WM18 is only a little bit pricier than WM16B (£1450 vs £1250) but is a bigger machine substantially. Weight alone is 220kg vs 125 kg and much wider ways. Just from specs WM18 looks like a much better machine, however, there is one downside - spindle speed. WM18 spins 2250rpm vs 3000rpm in WM16B. I know that this is important factor for CNC. How much? Can you guys give me your thoughts about it? I will be machining mainly in aluminum but would like to try some harder materials as well. This is for hobby use, rather small parts for now.

P.S. I would also consider GH18 but this gets only max 1450rpm... Is it worth concidering?
    Last edited by hedeon; 09-08-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have had a WM18 that I converted to CNC and was very pleased with it. I am also helping another guy convert his to CNC. I used Linuxcnc as the controller with Mesa 5i25/7i76 cards. But to start you could just the a parallel port to keep the cost down. Linuxcnc is quite a steep learning curve. (its actually quite easy for a simple 3 axis machine with PP)

Good luck whatever direction you go.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Linuxcnc is quite a steep learning curve...
    Do you mean it because of the underlying operating system? If so should not be a problem as Linux is my bread and butter.

So Spindle speed was not a problem for you?
    Last edited by hedeon; 09-08-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hedeon View Post
    however, there is one downside - spindle speed. WM18 spins 2250rpm vs 3000rpm in WM16B. I know that this is important factor for CNC. How much? Can you guys give me your thoughts about it? I will be machining mainly in aluminum but would like to try some harder materials as well.
    I had the same issue with a Conect CNC Benchtop Mill, I sold the existing motor and controller and replaced it with the highest power 2 Pole 3 Phase motor it would take and a good quality VFD.
    As the motor had to be 1Hp I stuck with the 1:1 belt drive, had I been able to shoehorn in a 3Hp I'd have gone for an "overdrive" ratio with the spindle running faster than the motor, as it is I get a comfortable 7000rpm without using a Speed Increaser.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Do you mean it because of the underlying operating system? If so should not be a problem as Linux is my bread and butter.

So Spindle speed was not a problem for you?
    Linuxcnc is free and you can download the iso and have it up and running in about half an hour. The mesa cards do the step generation on the card. its the HAL file thats take a bit of getting used to. I have set mine up with 3 mpg's and spindle encoder for ridged tapping.

Re the spindle speed I used 3 flute cutters and mainly cut use ally. If I remember the WM18 has metal gears.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Now, considering that I have never even stood next to CNC machine, how accurate is the statement that, no matter what mill I will choose, I will be replacing motor and driver anyway?

Now, considering that I have never even stood next to CNC machine, how accurate is the statement that, no matter what mill I will choose, I will be replacing motor and driver anyway?
    You can just run everything slower and for longer :D
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Hi.

I am a newbie in to the world of CNC, but have been dealing with self-build 3D printers for some time, so some concepts are similar.

I am trying to pick a milling machine as a base for future conversion to CNC. I am stuck between 3 machines, Sieg SX2.7, Warco WM16B, and WM18, but would like to discuss 2 of them here.
    WM18 is only a little bit pricier than WM16B (£1450 vs £1250) but is a bigger machine substantially. Weight alone is 220kg vs 125 kg and much wider ways. Just from specs WM18 looks like a much better machine, however, there is one downside - spindle speed. WM18 spins 2250rpm vs 3000rpm in WM16B. I know that this is important factor for CNC. How much? Can you guys give me your thoughts about it? I will be machining mainly in aluminum but would like to try some harder materials as well. This is for hobby use, rather small parts for now.

P.S. I would also consider GH18 but this gets only max 1450rpm... Is it worth concidering?
    In my personal opinion.

I looked at the Warco but I've now changed my mind.
    I'm holding out for the Amadeal instead:
    http://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/AM...hless-Motor---
    AMA_MI_AMAT25LV_MM.html#SID=373
    2800rpm & 185mm Y travel sounds good enough to me.

http://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/AM...8.html#SID=380
    I'd be looking to up the rpm at some point, the rest don't need changing.

Supposedly getting both in stock with R8 spindle but saying it will be 2 months at least.
    If you noticed most things over here have been oos for a while from Amadeal, Warco and Toolco. Basically all of them told me there are manufacturing restrictions over in China atm so orders are all delayed.

There is a Warco WM18 in stock but it's geared and I want a belted.
    If you want one now and don't mind geared get the Warco 18 but I think I'd get the AMAT25 this year and the AMAT30 next year.

I already have a SiegX2 converted but I've pushed it to it's near demise so need something bigger that can handle things. The X2 will be making all the parts for the Amadeal.

On the Amadeal I plan on using 420oz nema23 x,y and a 1600oz nema34 z from Wantai motor on ebay running off Mach3 via a dedicated Windows XP PC.
    Already have the electronics together, I'll be using GX16 connectors and I recommend using screened cables.

What About the SX2.7 instead of the WM16B? It appears that the SIEG machines have good cast Iron frames.

Thread Information