So I bought a wood lathe and copy attachment off fleabay - basic it was an absolute bargain and a massive upgrade to my existing one.
So I have for years thought about automating a wood lathe even if its just for roughing out logs and square blocks. Or even shaping for repetitive furniture legs and spindles ready for sanding. I'm not making aircraft parts so accuracy to nano mil's is not a concern. What I'm asking is advice on practicality and recommend motors etc. The idea is fast feed small cuts that way putting less stress on the the spindle replacement.

Ok pic below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	copy.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	24710

Number 1. is a cog lead / winder, I've tested the play, its mostly from the handle not the actual shaft although there is some. And uses a lateral guide on the other side

2. Is like a horizontal Y-Axis its a solid bit of kit bolted directly onto 1's winding housing block .

3 and there's a good 6 inch of vertical adjustment that is solid as a rock when clamped up. So lining up a tool to the head stock and chuck center is simple.

So i'm thinking of going really simple, replace the winding handle with stepper direct coupled.
I 'm looking at doing the same for 2 and bolting on a spindle or if that is undo-able stripping down 2 to the plate and adding a actuator and spindle.
And then adding the usual stepper controllers / power and running through my existing Mach3 setup.

What size steppers would you guess i'll need for 1. & .2 ?

I think there's definite potential with a bit of fiddling and cursing, but I reckon I could get something usable going.