. .
  1. Hi,

I need to do some machining on the side of a small brass 0.8 mod rack (drilling and counterboring). I can't hold the rack in a vice because it'll damage the rack's teeth, so I was thinking of sticking the rack to a base plate with some sort of wax and then holding the base plate in the vice. I've found a few suppliers of fixturing wax in the states - Anyone know of a source in the UK?

An alternative would be superglue, which I've used in the past, but I don't like the fumes that result from heating up the glue to separating parts when finished. I also don't want to subject the rack to excessive heat.

Best Regards,
    Matt.

2. ..I should add, I'm not using double-sided tape or superglued back-to-back masking tape because they'd like mess with my tolerances.

I have a mini Taig lathe ,I have seen many time people attach at the lathe's chuck a rod,truen it and the glue the part they want to machine on the shaft with CA glue. After they finish the machining they use heat to melt cyanoacrylic glue and detached the parts.
    Maybe you can do something like that.

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-09-2023 Has been a member for 3-4 years. Has a total post count of 13. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 3 times.
    I have used Shellac wax for many years on thin parts but its best for downward pressure machining, Superglue can be unpleasant to burn off but if a graphite substrate is used this can be soaked in acetone for a few days in an airtight container with good results.
    PM me if you need a small sample of the wax.

Thread Information