. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi,

I知 starting a build log half way through a build to get your feedback, share processes and problem solve issues which are still to arise. This is my second build the first is being run daily at the moment but will soon get reconfigured for non contact tasks like plasma and clay extrusion based fabrication when No2 is proven to work. What I知 hoping to build is a machine that will allow me to form complex shapes whether thats throughout reductive or additive process i.e. milling or extrusion processes.

Clients are asking me if I can produce large scale forms for them which have complex geometries, undercuts for formers, molds and such like. I can do that currently by dividing models up into parts but its a pain.

Ideally i壇 like this No2 machine to have the abiltiy to carve materials with the density of oak. However if its more successful just in foams and tooling board that will just fine too. Since the No1 CNC currently cuts foam board and thin ply and has a water table and plasma i知 designing this No2 machine to take adapter plates onto which I can attach various tools and add axis to make the machine adaptable. It remains unclear whether i値l be able to get everything i壇 like out of this build with the resources i;ve got to hand but i知 damned well going to give it a good go :).

I知 lucky that most of the jobs this will do will be one off design prototypes where there is an amount of flexibility of the outcome however we all aspire to accuracy, reliability and repeatability in our machines especially when there is a deadline!

As you can see this design has 450mm of travel on the Z for deep carving. The intention is to be able to attach different tools for different jobs one of which will hopefully be a B/C head for 3D carving. I have three different spindles I often use. A 900w 240v Kress, a low rpm 12v RC brushless and a 2.2kw 3ph spindle. They all have their own uses and the new machine will have plates for mouting different tools.

I expect to use fusion 360 for 5 axis CAD tasks but there is much to learn and understand there with the additional axis. I currently work with Vectric & Sheetcam software for XYZ CAM.

The machine has a work area of 1500 x 1300 x 450 with a workbed I can raise and lower depending on the material volume. You can see the same principal in the machine in the background. The design will allow me to work right round a 1200 x 1200 x 500 block of foam for prototypes using a BC head.

4 x 2DM556, 2x M542, 4 x 566oz in 4nm steppers, 48v PSU, 2 x 5 axis breakout boards. HTD 4:1 gearing on the motors, Rack and pinion drive, HG20 rail and blocks. Mach3 etc

I値l post some more info tomorrow just introducing the project tonight. Much still to do...

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	studio2.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	385.8 KB 
ID:	24770
    Last edited by marbles; 17-10-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Thread Information