. .
    Wish to cut some simple pipe bending rollers with a half round edge grooves 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 etc.
    Programming is simple, but :-
    Tooling :-
    First option is to use >1/8" RNMG insert but of course too small to be practical.
    2nd - Make an HSS form tool with side relief. Possibly on a parting blade. Difficult to get the rad. accurate?
    3rd - Use a 35 deg 04mm rad tool and approach from two sides with R&L/H tool.

Any advice on good way to CNC these grooves very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Leadhead; 07-09-2018 at 07:26 AM.

If I understand the task, I'd use a 35 degree insert in a straight holder. SVVCN holder.

But this would make an interference of 17.5 deg. at each side as the control point tries to interpolate the radius.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    If I understand what you're trying to achieve, I'd probably go for a MDT (Multi-Directional Tool).

APT do ones that use WDN inserts - https://www.shop-apt.co.uk/external-...serts-apt.html

You can't hog metal like you can with dedicated tools, but they're ideal for profiles that would otherwise need a change of tool, but material removal/being as fast as possible are not the top priorities.

Edit - APT also do MGMN style - https://www.shop-apt.co.uk/external-...n-inserts.html which would also work. In fact most grooving tools can be used for light profiling/turning provided the insert is clamped in place.
    Last edited by m_c; 07-09-2018 at 03:59 PM.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Much easier to help if you show us a picture of what you want to do.

Pippin - Simply an accurate semi circular cut in the side of 40mm dia. bar.

Thread Information