. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is there a tool to help remove stuck morse tapers from the tail stock?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Morse taper drift?, or if (like my ML7) you don't have a slot for the drift, I normally get a piece of bar through the rear bore of the tail stock butt up against the backside of the tool and tap it gently.

No slot for a drif. Here is my tail stock

Maybe some sort of wedge?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I'm going to assume you've fitted some kind of short MT adapter that means when you wind the tailstock all the way in, the tailstock screw is not hitting the adapter and extracting it?

In which case, suitable wedge, but you'll probably have to make/bodge something suitable. Cheap hammer/fork type ball joint extractors would also work if you find one the right size.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I'm going to assume you've fitted some kind of short MT adapter that means when you wind the tailstock all the way in, the tailstock screw is not hitting the adapter and extracting it?

In which case, suitable wedge, but you'll probably have to make/bodge something suitable. Cheap hammer/fork type ball joint extractors would also work if you find one the right size.
    No but it use to extract it. Maybe i can find a wedge that will do the job

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfox1787 View Post
    No but it use to extract it. Maybe i can find a wedge that will do the job
    It's not a hollow ended MT (aka threaded for use with a drawbar), which has been plugged, and the plug has screwed in a bit?
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

If you are lucky - a tap on the chuck towards the headstock, with a soft face hammer may dislodge it. Otherwise if you can wind the quill out (after taking out the pin) you may be able to get a drift into the quill to dislodge the bugger.

What lathe is it btw?

Got there - Hobbymat MD65
    Last edited by cropwell; 08-09-2018 at 11:25 PM.

I've got the same lathe. I normally just wind it back with the hand feed and it pushes the chuck/taper out. If it's stuck really tight a bit of heat from a heat gun on the quill should expand it enough to release the tapered bit.

Cheers
    Waldo
    Last edited by the great waldo; 09-09-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the great waldo View Post
    I've got the same lathe. I normally just wind it back with the hand feed and it pushes the chuck/taper out. If it's stuck really tight a bit of heat from a heat gun on the quill should expand it enough to release the tapered bit.

Cheers
    Waldo
    Normally it does do that but recently if i wind it back it jams and doesnt push the morse taper out. I have had the tailstock apart and cant find any issues with it.

Put an old drill bit in the drill chuck or old piece of bar stock. Slide the tail stock down to the main chuck and grab the bar in the jaws. In the gap in between gently tap with a nylon hammer on the front face of the tail stock.
    Once out check the end of the taper. Something is amiss as per earlier posters as the auto release is not working. Don’t reinsert until you have figured it out!
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information