. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi does anyone have the software to tune the servo to the driver, I have recently had my driver repaired at great cost its a Baldor Flex drive FD2a02TR-RN23 (a bit old) but has developed a problem shortly after re installation and the repairers say I need to tune the drive to the servo. ive looked all over the net and don't seem to be able to find it.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Did you find the software or are you still looking?

Hi Graham, I am looking for the software if you still have it available. Thanks in advance!

Well, I have some good news for this 3 1/2 year old thread.

https://library.abb.com/r?dkg=dkg_so...aq&q=workbench

I just bought an original Baldor Flex Drive off of eBay (FD2A05TR-RN20). I found a manual hosted by an ABB/Baldor retailer https://drivecentre.ca/wp-content/up...ive-Manual.pdf. In the manual they refer to some software called Flex. It's OOOOLD software. I see references to getting it to run on Windows 3.1.

I'm not able to find this particular software anywhere. But while I am looking, I see other folks talking about configuring their Baldor drives.https://www.automation-talk.info/201...rive-auto.html . This guy talks about something called Workbench. It seems like Baldor's technology advanced and they named the configuration suite "Workbench". I'm not able to find anything called simply "Workbench" but the link above will take you to an ABB search that will allow you to download "Mint Workbench". Mint seems to be one of their newer series of drives with more advanced PLC-ish support.

I don't have my driver in hand yet. But I have installed Mint Workbench. The connection wizard doesn't mention "Flexdrive" by name. But it does mention "FlexdriveII". So I am hoping that the original drives are supported but not mentioned.

I'm not necessarily worried about being able to communicate with the drive. The manual for the drive lists all of the serial commands needed to configure it. Just get a usb to serial adapter for your computer and hook it up. I can type up configuration on a terminal with no problems. But the configuration software is supposed to have a bunch of auto-tune presets for configuring Baldor servos. I'd like to make sure my incoming drive is programmed to talk with my servo in the most efficient manner.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kuffs For This Useful Post:

For future people, contact ABB themselves they have a copy of this software. If you're a personal user they might charge you so beware. Because it was designed around windows95, you will need some sort of emulator or virtual machine to get this to work (unless you've got a computer running win95). I recommend DosBox. You can look up it in more detail so hope this helps. Note: there are two types of software, one for the flex drive and flex plus so make sure you use the right one. Also, make sure you use the right cable because it will give you a headache just trying to connect to the thing
    Last edited by joeindanger; 02-09-2022 at 04:51 AM. Reason: managed to get it to work without a null modem cable so removing to remove confusion

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeindanger For This Useful Post:

Sorry, I committed the mortal sin of not returning to the thread after I found a solution.

I have a copy of the last version of Flex produced; Flex 1.09. If ABB isn't helpful, PM me and I'll help you out.

Personally, I'm using VirtualBox on my MacBook. Some kind soul made a Windows 98 hard drive image. I have had success both with sharing the serial device from the host to the guest, and also 'giving' the usb device to the guest for it to run. FTDI still offers drivers for these older platforms.

@joindanger thank you for the heads up re: the difference between flex and flex+ software. I picked up a + drive recently and was going to assume they used the same software. Since the + series seems to just be the original kit with a bunch of bookmarkable positions. I'll look for the other software.

I posted a small gallery of the servo motor conversion I've done for my 3-in-1 machine. https://imgur.com/a/CGidU3J If you're curious about any of it I'm happy to help.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kuffs For This Useful Post:

I've been using the Flex software for the Auto Tune functionality. And also because it contains a full list of Baldor motors and their specific configuration parameters. But I have found the software to be kind of finnicky sometimes. I'm not sure if it's a fault somewhere in the emulation stack, or if it's just buggy software in general. But I've been observing the auto-tune process and cross-referencing it against the serial command reference. One could totally implement that process in something like a python script. I am not sure what sort of algorithm they're using to process the results of a pass. But I bet I could find someone who knows.

I don't think I need to go through all that in order to get good performance for a spindle motor. I don't need the kind of fine balance between smooth motion and speed that a robot needs. But I may attempt my own auto-tune software if things don't work out the way I want.

Hello
    I am curious if you have coped with this drive. Unfortunately, we are separated by the ocean. Can you help on "flex 1.09" soft. This old program is nowhere to be found. Regards.
    Last edited by Waroa; 29-08-2022 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waroa View Post
    Hello
    I am curious if you have coped with this drive. Unfortunately, we are separated by the ocean. Can you help on "flex 1.09" soft. This old program is nowhere to be found. Regards.
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/cto77...tware.zip/file
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/60t2v...tware.zip/file

here are the downloads for flex and flex plus software
    Last edited by joeindanger; 06-07-2023 at 12:01 AM.

Location unknown. hoffledp Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6106 members to the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuffs View Post
    Sorry, I committed the mortal sin of not returning to the thread after I found a solution.

I have a copy of the last version of Flex produced; Flex 1.09. If ABB isn't helpful, PM me and I'll help you out.

Personally, I'm using VirtualBox on my MacBook. Some kind soul made a Windows 98 hard drive image. I have had success both with sharing the serial device from the host to the guest, and also 'giving' the usb device to the guest for it to run. FTDI still offers drivers for these older platforms.

@joindanger thank you for the heads up re: the difference between flex and flex+ software. I picked up a + drive recently and was going to assume they used the same software. Since the + series seems to just be the original kit with a bunch of bookmarkable positions. I'll look for the other software.

I posted a small gallery of the servo motor conversion I've done for my 3-in-1 machine. https://imgur.com/a/CGidU3J If you're curious about any of it I'm happy to help.

so... help? laughing out loud.
    I got a frantic phonecall and slew of text messages from an old friend in my old trade (17 year machine mechanic / millwright. There is a down contour saw at a mattress factory. "Dylan, please come down and diagnose, ill pay you $500 bucks! he says....

I show up as they are shutting down for the day, manager doesn't know im showing up, guy i needed to talk to isn't there. he comes back, shows me the machine, obvious its a dated cnc retrofit.

baldor flexdrive.

I need this software for my return tomorrow. I do not have time to go through the hoops with baldor.

Ive driven 2 hours round trip, and diesel is at $6 bucks a gallon this side of the pond, and still dont have my $500. please help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information